Studio 2011 - How long should preparing a project take?
Thread poster: Sian Cooper

Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:04
French to English
+ ...
Oct 20, 2012

Hi, I am on Studio 2011 SP2. I have a 20000 word file. I'm using a local TM. I have previously translated (and so, updated TM) about half of it. I have then received an amendment to the source file, happily just after where I have translated up until. It is a table, insert into a .docx file. I have created a new project and am running batch process Prepare Project, without Project TM. It has been running for around half an hour, since it has finished the conversion and copy stages, its rate is about 5% every 15 mins.; currently 25% complete. That's about another 4 hours to complete. This seems very long, especially as I assume it will find lovely 100%/Context matches for the first lump (certainly hope so!!!).

I notice that there is an Error, too, although it is not possible at this stage to see what the error is; I assume at some point when it has finished it will give me some sort of interface.

I know 'how long does it take' is pretty much 'how long is a piece of string', but I have no other particular performance problems with Studio.

Oh... just had a thought... I also have 3 online TMs set for the project (SDL BeGlobal, 2 others). I hope it doesn't also go through doing a pre-translate using them. That could explain it, of course.

Thanks!

PS I decided to Cancel the prep. process. It has now been just sitting, buttons greyed out and no other apparent activity, for 5 minutes. Not a happy bunny.

Direct link Reply with quote

Hope Farmer
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Project preparation stuck Oct 20, 2012

Hi Sian,

Sounds like you are having a classic Trados problem: no error message and cancelling has no effect and you are left hanging. I am sorry it is making you an unhappy bunny ==:-( (that´s my attempt at an "unhappy bunny" emoticon). I know that feeling and that is one of my favorite expressions.

If I were you (and this has happened to me in the past), I would shut down the computer and restart it.

The extra TMs are almost certainly not the problem. If it´s only around 2,000 words it should zip through the project preparation very quickly, in minutes.

There is probably something about this new file that is causing the trouble. I would try a trick I have seen used several times: open the Word document and save it as an RTF file, then try opening a project using that file. If it works, you know it´s the file. Alternatively, you can try copying and pasting the contents from the new document into a new blank Word document.

I wish you lots of luck!

Cheers, Hope

Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Hope Oct 20, 2012

I do find this stuff very nerve-wracking, being pretty new to it all, terrified of losing what I've done! Anyway, just before you posted, I tried again (having killed Studio); I simplified the new project setup this time, including only the new file. Previously I had included other files from the previous project, which I set as reference files only; but when I went and had a look at what state the failed project was in, I saw bilingual files for all of them, too. So, it was trying to do faaaaaaaar more than expected! Don't know why it didn't pick up the status correctly.

Worked like a dream. Phew!

I thought your bunny was neat ==:-)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 - How long should preparing a project take?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search