Marika Costantini  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:02
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 22, 2012

Good morning,

I have a problem with ttx files in TRADOS 2011.

I translated the ttx files in Studio, I used the option "save target as" and saved them as ttx.

I updated as usual my TM and exported it in tmx, as the client wanted it in this format.

Then I tried to save the document in the original format to obtain the clean doc, but the program showed an error message, saying that the conversion of the target is not possible because of an error.
... See more
Good morning,

I have a problem with ttx files in TRADOS 2011.

I translated the ttx files in Studio, I used the option "save target as" and saved them as ttx.

I updated as usual my TM and exported it in tmx, as the client wanted it in this format.

Then I tried to save the document in the original format to obtain the clean doc, but the program showed an error message, saying that the conversion of the target is not possible because of an error. "Eccezione generata dalla destinazione di una chiamata".

Now, my client wants the clean file, so what I have to do??

Thanks in advance!

Marika
Collapse

Lorenzo Cordini
Lorenzo Cordini
English
Compatibility Options Oct 22, 2012

Hi Marika,

You could check how the compatibility options for TTX files are set in Studio.

Go to Tools > Options and click on "Compatibility" under "TRADOStag".

For better compatibility, you should select the option that says "Treat all in-line tags as placeholders (disable smart tag pairing)".

You should then re-process your Word file and try to export again.

Lorenzo

Marika Costantini
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately... Oct 22, 2012

...this option is already selected...
Thanks anyway for your help.

Lorenzo Cordini
Lorenzo Cordini
English
doc or docx? Oct 22, 2012

you could try to save the original document as docx and try it out in Studio (just insert some dummy text as translation and try to export) and see if that helps.

L.

Marika Costantini
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's a doc file Oct 23, 2012

...and I already made that attempt but it failed again.

Now, I imported the files (doc) in STUDIO creating a new project and using the TM of the previous project, I used the "pre-translate" function but unfortunately the program translated 65% only of both docs.

I had to correct/modify the other segments one by one and made the finalize. Everything went smoothly for the first file, but as for the second, after the finalize, the program translated only 38 pages instead o
... See more
...and I already made that attempt but it failed again.

Now, I imported the files (doc) in STUDIO creating a new project and using the TM of the previous project, I used the "pre-translate" function but unfortunately the program translated 65% only of both docs.

I had to correct/modify the other segments one by one and made the finalize. Everything went smoothly for the first file, but as for the second, after the finalize, the program translated only 38 pages instead of 45, leaving the last pages in English (even if these last pages are obviously translated in Editor).

I tried again, but nothing changed.

I think I can't really do anything else. These problems are surely caused by problems of compatibility of the ttx translated in STUDIO 2011...

Many thanks for your help!
Marika
Collapse

Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TagEditor workaround for TTX Oct 23, 2012

I have had this problem often and with a number of formats (usually INX, but also XLS and very rarely DOC).

If you still have TagEditor (from Trados 2007) installed, you can try opening the finished TTX with that and using it to create the end document.

Sometimes the problem is in the TTX itself. I often receive TTX files from clients and it is the TTX files themselves that apparently have problems. When this happens (and the above solution doesn't work) I use my TagEdi
... See more
I have had this problem often and with a number of formats (usually INX, but also XLS and very rarely DOC).

If you still have TagEditor (from Trados 2007) installed, you can try opening the finished TTX with that and using it to create the end document.

Sometimes the problem is in the TTX itself. I often receive TTX files from clients and it is the TTX files themselves that apparently have problems. When this happens (and the above solution doesn't work) I use my TagEditor to create a new TTX (you need the original document), run it through Studio 2011 to add the pre-translation and then use TagEditor again to create the final document.

An alternative is to export the the TM and retranslate in TagEditor (which is obviously far less sensitive than Studio to small problems).

SDL is not highly motivated to solve TTX-related problems because they want you to move on to SDLXIFF. (Although Paul from SDL often makes some helpful suggestions on this forum when he can)

Hope this helps
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with ttx files in TRADOS STUDIO 2011

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »