Line breaks between XML attributes stripped out by Trados 2009
Thread poster: Rivermonster
Oct 22, 2012

Hi,

I have a problem with line breaks not being respected in Trados Studio 2009 target output.

I made a file type in Trados Studio 2009 that allows me to translate the values of XML tag attributes.
For example, here the XML tag is called TocEntry and it has two attributes, "Title" and "Link".

TocEntry
Title="English text"
Link="/Content/Topic.htm" /TocEntry

There is a hard line break at the end of each line. . (In o
... See more
Hi,

I have a problem with line breaks not being respected in Trados Studio 2009 target output.

I made a file type in Trados Studio 2009 that allows me to translate the values of XML tag attributes.
For example, here the XML tag is called TocEntry and it has two attributes, "Title" and "Link".

TocEntry
Title="English text"
Link="/Content/Topic.htm" /TocEntry

There is a hard line break at the end of each line. . (In order to include this code in the forum post I had to remove the parentheses.)

Trados detects the file correctly and I am able to edit the attribute value of the "Title" attribute as expected. I do not get any error messages when generating the output. However, when I look at the output in a text editor I see Trados has removed the line breaks that occur between the attributes. So my example above appears like this:

TocEntry Title="Texto español" Link="/Content/Topic.htm" /TocEntry

The lack of line breaks is causing issues in the 3rd party application that uses these files.

I tested with Trados Studio 2011 on a colleague's PC and everything worked fine (first I recreated the file type, then I translated and saved the xml file and generated the target. Then I checked the line breaks).

So it seems that this was a bug in 2009 that was fixed in 2011. Can anybody confirm this? My doubt is if my colleague's Trados 2011 installation is configured differently in some way that I can also do for my own installation to get this working.

Thanks,

Adrian

[Edited at 2012-10-22 16:12 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Line breaks between XML attributes stripped out by Trados 2009

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »