Thread poster: Ronald van der Linden

Ronald van der Linden  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:00
German to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 25, 2012

Hi,

I have used Trados 2007 (workbench & tageditor) and am thinking about switching to 2009 or 2011 as I usually work for translation agencies and I've noticed that some have made the switch to 2009/2011.

Any thoughts/suggestions/experiences on switching to 2009, 2011 or staying with 2007?

Thanks.

Ronald

Direct link Reply with quote

Marquis  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SDL to cease support for Trados 2007 in Decemeber 2012 Oct 25, 2012

Well apparently SDL will cease to support Trados 2007 in December 2012 and you will not be able to upgrade anymore. I just received an email from SDL, so I know this information is correct. Now if you want to update is up to you. I am inclined to look for another program that does not charge the initial 1500 only to ask for update every year for 350 additional dollars. You can get a separate program for that. SDL is a rip off. Good thing some other people had the same idea for less. Also once January 2013 will roll in you might have to purchase a whole new 1500 dollars product. This just sucks and I do hope people will stop using it and put them out of business. With all the problems involved (word incompatiblity) and all, for sure Office is coming with a new version, and so will Trados - in 2013, so your upgrade will be not good for the newest version anyway.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:00
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
I have switched and I've never regretted it Oct 25, 2012

Studio is simply much better!

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:00
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
A few replies to the SDL onslaught. Oct 25, 2012

Marquis wrote:

Well apparently SDL will cease to support Trados 2007 in December 2012

As far as I know, SDL will continue to support Trados Suite 2007, but not earlier versions.

and you will not be able to upgrade any more.

That's true. Upgrades will be available from their newer versions only, which is fairly reasonable.
Edited to add: I see that upgrades will still be available for Trados Suite 2007 (but not Trados 2007):
http://www.sdl.com/campaign/lt/sdl-trados-2007-end-of-life.html

I am inclined to look for another program that does not charge the initial 1500 only to ask for update every year for 350 additional dollars. You can get a separate program for that. SDL is a rip off. Good thing some other people had the same idea for less.

Updates are free. They're also known as Service Packs that are released for software programs. Recently, SDL has added some useful features through its SPs for Studio.

If you buy Studio through a ProZ Group Buy, it costs about one third of the price you mention. Some programs are cheaper, you're right. I've been testing one right now that doesn't have half the features of Studio, and it costs much less. There are also other tools out there that do a good job at a similar price to Studio and most of them have upgrade deals worked into the initial price or as yearly fees.

With all the problems involved (word incompatiblity)

Incompatibility with Word happens when people insist on using Trados 2007. Studio is a standalone application.

for sure Office is coming with a new version, and so will Trados

As you note, all software brings out new versions. It's wise to keep up with them if you want to take advantage of new features.

@ Ronald: There are lots of threads here about whether it's worth switching to Studio if you're a Trados 2007 user. It's a completely different application and takes some time to get used to. I personally wouldn't dream of going back to the formatting problems of Workbench in Word and the dry interface of Tag Editor.

Why not download a demo and try it out?

[Edited at 2012-10-25 15:39 GMT]

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Unfair claims Oct 25, 2012

Marquis wrote:
charge the initial 1500 only to ask for update every year for 350 additional dollars...
...Also once January 2013 will roll in you might have to purchase a whole new 1500 dollars product

First of all, the prices are quite different, depending on various circumstances (upgrading or buying a new version, participating in TGB, buying a professional or freelance version, etc etc etc). Moreover, nobody asks you to " update every year for 350 additional dollars", this is a complete nonsense.

In case you are (for whatever reasons) unsatisfied with the software, it does not give you right to post misleading information. It is simply unfair.

Mexico
German to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
which studio? 2009 or 2011? Oct 25, 2012

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL wrote:

Studio is simply much better!

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Studio is really better Oct 25, 2012

Studio 2009 was much better than Trados 2007, but Studio 2011 with its enhancements is better than 2009.

Ronald, you may want to take a look at previous topics on the same subject:
http://www.proz.com/topic/234356
http://www.proz.com/topic/229253
http://www.proz.com/topic/227869
http://www.proz.com/topic/213107

These are only a few of most recent ones.

Natalia

[Edited at 2012-10-25 18:09 GMT]

Mexico
German to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Natalie Oct 25, 2012

)

Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Thanks for your clear words Oct 25, 2012

Natalie wrote:
Moreover, nobody asks you to " update every year for 350 additional dollars", this is a complete nonsense.

Thanks for your clear words, this site really lacks some common sense and clear statements. However I am sure that if I would have writen such a comment, the "mods" would have deleted it.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:00
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
My experience Oct 26, 2012

I upgraded to Studio 2009 last year and will move to 2011 when it seems necessary. One of my clients continues to use Trados 2007 with Tageditor. Another one started this year to send their projects through SDL Wordserver. I download the packages, open them in Studio, translate, repack and send the back to Wordserver. I would hardly be able to do this in other software. If I had declined to use Studio I would have lost this client and their easy and well-paid jobs. So my decision was right to go with Studio and learn to use Wordserver, which is not very intuitive.
2009 still needs 2007 for some tasks, so you should only think of 2011. Studio is a much better piece of software than the old Trados, I like to think Studio is a modernized SDLX, even if people at SDL deny this assumption. (Yes, one customer continues to use SDLX, and I like it).

From the freelancer's point of view other software like DV or WFP might be more attractive, but many agencies go with SDL-software. So far though I have not encountered any client insisting on DV.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Switching to SDL 2009 or 2011, or stay with Trados 2007

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search