Thread poster: Javier Cencig

Javier Cencig  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:46
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 26, 2012

Hi, there! I've been editing a project with thousands of repetitions throughout many documents. I had some hard time finding out which pairs had already been changed because of a poor workflow (I was not the one who started the project). Anyway, I've been looking at the auto-propagation feature and I can't figure out how to make changes (confirmed pairs) auto-propagate through other files. I can auto-propagate changes within the same file, but is it possible to auto-propagate them throughout the entire folder or project so that one does not need to keep checking if the pair matches the memory? Thanks in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Eduardo García Soñanes
Mexico
Local time: 22:46
English to Spanish
In Studio 2009/2011 Oct 26, 2012

Hello Javier,

In Studio 2009 or Studio 2011, check the follow box:

Tools > Editor > Auto-propagation > Auto-propagate exact matches to confirmed segments.

You might also want to have the "Confirmed segment after auto-propagating an exact match" box checked. You will find it in the same path.

Hope this helps!

Eduardo García Soñanes

Brazil
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Oct 26, 2012

Thank you Eduardo. I actually tried that. But apparently it only works within the same file. Or perhaps there is another setting I'm missing. Once I correct a segment, if I open another document containing the same segment, I get a message saying there is a different translation in memory. But I was expecting auto-propagated segments to change automatically in all documents.

Brazil
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
also... Oct 26, 2012

So when that happens, all it takes is clearing target and getting from memory again (Alt+Del, then move up and down again). In that case, the target translation is updated.
But the way I see it an auto-propagated translation should be a reference to a database entry, that is, a sort of dynamic field. Once the database entry is changed all references should reflect that change. Instead, SDL seems to apply CM translations as a new segment. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I'v tried many different settings.

Jose Ruivo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:46
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Merge files Oct 29, 2012

Javier Cencig wrote:

But apparently it only works within the same file. Or perhaps there is another setting I'm missing. Once I correct a segment, if I open another document containing the same segment, I get a message saying there is a different translation in memory. But I was expecting auto-propagated segments to change automatically in all documents.

Hi Javier,

when first creating the project you need to merge the files, so that they appear as only one in the Editor view. Otherwise you get the problem you refer.

Good luck,
José Ruivo

bungholio
German to English
Merge files Oct 29, 2012

Yep, that's right. All of the documents need to be merged at the very beginning of the project. It is not possible to do this once the project is underway.

To do so, you will need the original source files. Create a project with them and in the file selection window, make sure all of the necessary files are selected and then merge them with the appropriate command (button in the toolbar/shortcut menu I believe). Assign an arbitrary name to the merged file and finish the process. (If files are strewn across multiple directories, click on the subfolder icon it will then list all of the files available. It often helps to sort by Usage to get all of the translatable files together).

Then when you open up the "file", it will include all of the files in your project.

Good luck!

Brazil
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you!! Oct 29, 2012

Thank you! Now it works! Amazing, I think SDL is a great solution, very clever, but a little bit too inflexible sometimes. Anyway, that helped! That's a great enhancement for workflows. Do you see any cons to merging files?

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:46
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
No cons but sometimes slow Oct 29, 2012

Javier Cencig wrote:

That's a great enhancement for workflows. Do you see any cons to merging files?

Merging files is the way to go. Check you can generate the target files before you start the translation (go to batch tasks to do it), but there shouldn't be any problem.

The only drawback to merging is when the files are so big that processing (opening the merged file, autopropagation, etc.) takes too long. But you'll discover if that's the case...

Brazil
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great! Oct 30, 2012

Thanks! Yes, that's what I thought, I suppose over 100 K-word projects may become a hurdle sometimes. I still think it should work as reference to a database entry (or at least offer that option) accross different files. Anyway, this has been very helpful. Last week I had to edit a project which was a nightmare, and merging files would have made things a lot easier.
Thanks again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Auto-propagation question

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search