Studio 2011: minor French-to-English formatting issues
Thread poster: Scubabe
Oct 26, 2012

Hi,

I've been using Trados Studio 2011 for a while now - and after a big learning curve, so far so good!

But I am having trouble with the following:

I translate from French to English (I use French Canadian as the source language and English Canadian as the target language).

But Trados insists on using the French format for punctuation. It always adds a space before semi-colons, question marks and exclamation marks.

I'm getting tired of fixing each occurrence manually.

There must be a setting for this, but I don't know where or how. Can anyone please help?

On the other hand, Trados does automatically change large numbers to the English format (commas between every 3 digits - ie. 1,000,000).

Ironically, my client has asked me to retain the French format for large numbers (non-breaking space between every 3 digits - ie. 1 000 000).

Again, I'm sure I can fix this, but I don't know where or how. Can anyone please help?

Thanks very much for any help you can give!

Rhonda

Direct link Reply with quote

Scubabe
TOPIC STARTER
Follow-up question: Studio 2011: minor French-to-English formatting issues Oct 26, 2012

While you're here, maybe you can point me to another 2 solutions:

1. Formatting of vertical lists:

French source:

a)
b)
c)

Trados translates it as:

A)
B)
C)

How can I retain the source format

2. If I enter a term in Multiterm, is there a way to have Trados automatically use that term every time?

For example:

Source: Québec

My client wants me to keep the accent in the target, ie. Québec

But Trados keeps translating it without the accent.

Can you tell me where and how to fix these two other issues?

Thanks!
Rhonda

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011: minor French-to-English formatting issues

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search