Thread poster: Alexandre Oberlin

Alexandre Oberlin  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:09
English to French
+ ...
Oct 26, 2012

Hi all,

Segmentation sometimes includes only the opening tag in a pair of tags, e.g. when the segment's last word is in bold or whatever. However the last word might not be the same in the target language.

Example:
EN: Right-click <fc 2>Sprout.
FR: Cliquez sur <fc 2>Sprout avec le bouton droit.
The closing </fc> is immediately after the full stop but is kept backstage. In FR, all the words "Sprout avec le bouton droit" will be in bold.

Even worse, with no reasonable linguistic workaround AFAIK:
EN: Borrow John's <fc 2>bicycle!
FR: Emprunte le <fc 2>vélo de John!

How to I deal with this ?

Of course I can't add the closing tag where it should be (after "vélo"), because TS in its amazing wisdom has kept it out of the user's reach.

Cheers,

Alexandre

[Edited at 2012-10-26 19:23 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-10-26 19:25 GMT]

Anninili
English to German
+ ...
Inserting two extra tags worked for us.... Oct 29, 2012

Hello,

I am not quite sure whether the following might help and I do not know, what your document was written in, but we had this "problem" when using Trados Suite 2011 with ttx files and before we found out about the "Enabling automatic Tag pairing" feature for ttx files.

The reason was bad formatting habits from the tech authors teamicon_wink.gif, so first solution was - >
a) talk to them and tell them to work "clean", formatting has to stop before the full stop (or any other sign). Always.

This approach was useful for us as we have the tech authors sitting in the the same office to us translators (and they heard our swearing), it might not be helpful for you if you do not have the authors nearby. But we had a second solution
b) we inserted "two extra" tags, so we got the warning message "tags inserted" but as we had no "open tag pairs" the document converted without problems. (Btw, we used this also in trados 2006 for some reason)

So in your case it would look like:
EN: Borrow John's < "fc 2" >bicycle!
FR: Emprunte le < "fc 2" >vélo< "/fc" > de John!< "fc 2" >

But to be honest, inserting extra tags is not really our favorit, very bad karma for our TM. It is only a quick fix for some translations needed desperately, if possible try to get them to work more carefully.

Cheers,
Anneliese
PS: Sorry, to stupid to get the code displayed...

[Edited at 2012-10-29 11:13 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-10-29 11:15 GMT]

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A bit risky but useful Oct 29, 2012

Thanks Anneliese for your helpful answer.

I once got corrupt or badly formatted documents from playing with tags in some CAT tools so I became overly shy about it all. But in simple cases it will certainly come handy.

Being heard by the doc authors is something I stubbornly try in all my translation projects, by attaching to the delivery a spreadsheet with source errors and comments. I seldom really know if this is useful or a mere loss of time. Sometimes errors get corrected in the next project, sometimes they are still there 10 projects later...

Cheers,

Alexandre

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Can you share a file... Oct 30, 2012

... that behaves like this?

Thanks

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Other case of tag trimming Oct 31, 2012

Thank you Paul for your interest.

Along the same line, some meaningful tags (e.g. author defined string insertion tags as found in ancillary file) don't show up in segments when they appear at the beginning or end of the sentence.

I'll try to send you a representative sample ASAP.

Cheers,

Alexandre

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Examples of meaningful tags disappearing in TS UI Nov 1, 2012

Hi Paul,

I can't send you a file but I made up a sample for both issues.

TAG PROBLEMS IN TRADOS STUDIO 2009 SP3
1. USER DEFINED TAG <:v "Super Cola" 1> TRIMMED AT BEGINNING OF SENTENCE :
rtf code:
<:hr>Those drinks are suspect.
<ps "Z2.2.4_text important" 15><:fc 5><:v "Super Cola" 1><:/fc> encourages customers to drink water.
<:hr>This is better for your health.
TRADOS STUDIO:
segment 1:
Those drinks are suspect.
segment 2:
encourages customers to drink water.
segment 3:
This is better for your health.

2. BOLD CLOSING TAG TRIMMED (after Toc:)
RTF code:
<ps "Z1.1.1_body text" 5>
<ps "Z1.1.2_body text_actions" 20>Alternatively, check that there is a blue tick <:iaf 110>beside <:fc 2>Toc: <:/fc>in the status bar.
<:hr>
<:hr>
<ps "Z1.1.1_body text" 5>

TRADOS STUDIO:
seg 1:
Alternatively, check that there is a blue tick <:iaf 110>beside <:fc 2>Toc:
seg 2:
in the status bar.

Hope it helps

[Edited at 2012-11-01 10:23 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Segmentation between paired tags

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search