Concordance lost on single-monitor system
Thread poster: Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:35
German to English
Oct 29, 2012

Normally I work on a dual-monitor system with the Workbench concordance displaying on the second monitor. Currently I have to work on a single monitor system (formerly my main system). Unfortunately the Concordance does not display on the monitor. The setup is for a single monitor (was formerly using the extended desktop on this machine with a second monitor), the screen resolution is set to maximum 1680x1050. System Win 7 Ultimate, SDL Trados 7 Workbench 8.3.0.863.

I suspect that the problem relates to the extended desktop rather than Workbench, but I'm at a loss to resolve this problem. The only thing I can think of it to find a second monitor, hook it up and drag the concordance to the first monitor. I'd rather not have to do that if it can be avoided.
All advice welcome!
Thanks, Kevin

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:35
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Win key Oct 29, 2012

It's a long time since I've used WorkBench, but I expect you can call up concordance (without seeing it) and then press Win+right arrow/left arrow to pull it back into your single-monitor set up.
HTH,
Emma

United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Bingo! Oct 29, 2012

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

It's a long time since I've used WorkBench, but I expect you can call up concordance (without seeing it) and then press Win+right arrow/left arrow to pull it back into your single-monitor set up.
HTH,
Emma

On my system, it was the Win key + up/down arrows. Thanks for your prompt response!
Kevin

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Ages old problem Oct 29, 2012

What is really beyond me is that this issue had been present for years in Trados and it still has not been fixed?

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Not a Trados problem Oct 29, 2012

Hi Katalin, this is rather a Windows problem, not Trados.

Natalia

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
In my experience, only Trados does this Oct 30, 2012

Natalie,
I have used 3 different computers with 3 different Windows versions, the problem is the same, and only Trados does this. Any other software I have "knows" when I don't have the external monitor connected and displays its window on the main screen, even if it was displayed on the external screen last time.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Difference experience here Oct 30, 2012

Hi Katalin,

I have encountered exactly the same behavior with Thunderbird, Acrobat and a couple of different file managers. This happened in my old computer with Win XP a few years ago, and then with a newer one with Vista. I haven't had an occasion to check if this is true with Win 7 though.

Natalia

United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Windows problem Oct 30, 2012

I have encountered exactly the same behavior with Thunderbird, Acrobat and a couple of different file managers.

I'm running into this problem with a couple of programs. I posted my original query in this forum because users of Trados tend to run into more problems (and solve them) than with other software.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Concordance lost on single-monitor system

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search