Studio 2011: document is not opening for translation
Thread poster: Regula Trauffer

Regula Trauffer  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:47
Member (2010)
Chinese to German
+ ...
Oct 29, 2012

I work with Studio 2011 and tried to open a new document for translation as usual. Tried by opening a new project, TM and languages all OK, by opening a file only, opening a word.doc- or PDF-file and so on. Nothing opens in editor, though it says document is open for translation. Nothing happens, nothing can be done, no text on source or target side. Only 1 tag visible. When I try to enter text after this, I get the message: not possible to enter content on file level (or similar in German). Meaning it's not really open, but why? There is no word count and status as usual, all zero. The program freezes repeatedly and doesn't react normally, overlapping window frames etc.
I haven't knowingly changed any settings, but something is basically wrong. Would it help to make a new download of the program?
Desperately (losing a big job if I don't get this right within hours...)
thanking in advance
Regula

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Which format? Oct 29, 2012

Regola wrote:
Tried ... opening a word.doc- or PDF-file and so on

Could you please specify the format of the source document that you are trying to open?

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
A suggestion Oct 29, 2012

Find a simple .doc or .docx file (not your problem one) and try to open it in Studio.
Does it open?

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:47
Member (2008)
French to English
Images? Oct 29, 2012

Could it be that the text is actually images? Studio will sometimes freeze with overlapping windows if it's processing huge images.

Member (2010)
Chinese to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks a lot, no it's a Trados problem Oct 29, 2012

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Find a simple .doc or .docx file (not your problem one) and try to open it in Studio.
Does it open?

no it's a Trados problem, I tried every kind of document, doesn't work. Then I tried to desinstall Trados to set up a new upgraded version: they are capable of letting you down, after a period, if you don't buy any extras or newer versions. In the meantime you get no support at all, even if the damned thing breaks down over and again. Now, for all the desinstallments necessary to install a new version (sounds like a joke, but even this doesn't go normally) I have lost all internet connection on Windows. So I can't install any new new version that probably would, in the time of this night, resolve my problems. I usually work with Mac, have a limited space for Windows on my computer, only for Trados. But what for, acutually? Any feedback on this? Thanks anyway, Regula

Member (2010)
Chinese to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
document not opening for translation Oct 29, 2012

John Fossey wrote:

Could it be that the text is actually images? Studio will sometimes freeze with overlapping windows if it's processing huge images.

Thank you so much. But the pdf had only two small designs, and the word doc-file didn't show them. So I guess it's a Trados problem, as usual, they are always letting me down, and I stupidly keep buying new versions and courses and all, a slave to the system... In the meantime I tried to download a newer version, had too little disk space, tried to desinstall the old version, with the result that I have no internet connection anymore, on Windows. So I can't install the new version of Trados and hope for better, because the downoad is from internet, haha. It costs so much all the time, and it gives me so little, not a percent of what I invested. Plus it lets me down everytime I really need it, like tonight.
Do you have such experiences?
Regula

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Two possibilities Oct 29, 2012

Regola wrote:

I tried every kind of document, doesn't work.

Then the next step I would suggest is to close Studio and delete 3 XML files by going to the following path:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\[10.0.0.0]

Windows Vista/7: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\[10.0.0.0]

Delete these files:

- BaseSettings.xml
- plugincache.xml
- UserSettings.xml

They'll be recreated when you next open Studio.

Then I tried to desinstall Trados to set up a new upgraded version: they are capable of letting you down, after a period, if you don't buy any extras or newer versions. In the meantime you get no support at all, even if the damned thing breaks down over and again.

I understand your frustration, but this isn't true. If Studio doesn't "work" then you get free support.
Go to http://kb.sdl.com/ and click on the solution finder tab. Go to Download and Installation problems > "I get an error message during installation." You'll come to a form that you can fill in and then SDL will contact you by e-mail.

If you've lost your Internet connection, though, you have some other troubleshooting to do first.
Good luck with that and I hope you're up and running soon,
Emma

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011: document is not opening for translation

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search