Can I translate an Excel in Studio 2011 and select only one column to translate?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 30, 2012

Can I translate an Excel in Studio 2011 and select only one column to translate?

You can see on this screencast that there are several columns in this large Excel:

http://screencast.com/t/R1a3ltwv

Only one of these columns is to be translated. So I wonder what happens when I open this in Studio, and I have a TM from the customer? Can I, by batch processing, somehow select that only one column should be translated?

Direct link Reply with quote

Iwona Mróz
Poland
Local time: 20:49
German to Polish
Yes Oct 30, 2012

Hello!

Yes, you can hide unnecessary columns before opening in Studio 2011. Just remember to have the option Hidden content by Select the optional content to include in translation (in Tools ->Options -> File Types -> Excel -> Common) unchecked.

Best wishes,
Iwona

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Several different tabs also Oct 30, 2012

The processing of this file in Studio gets even more complicated because there are two other tabs (which contain no columns to be translated).

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:49
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Hide Oct 30, 2012

In Excel, hide any columns you don't want to translate. (Right click column header and select hide). Then hide any worksheets you don't want to translate (Right click worksheet tab).
Then go to Studio and select Tools>options>Excel>common> and make sure "hidden text" is not enabled.

After you finish the translate, unhide your hidden columns and worksheets.

HTH,
Emma

Mike Sadler  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:49
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
This works for me Oct 30, 2012

I've solved this in the past by selecting the column in Excel and copying everything in it. Then creating a new Excel document and pasting the column into it, translate that in Trados and then paste the resulting Excel sheet back into the original. Not elegant, but quick and works OK.

Sarah Puchner  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:49
French to English
save Excel file as a .csv Oct 30, 2012

I am by no means a technical person but this came up at the recent ATA conference.

Studio will let you choose Excel columns, but the key is to save the Excel doc as a .csv first. I haven't had time to try it out yet but take a look at the second article and video in this blog post:

http://multifarious.filkin.com/2012/07/01/studiogems1/

Does that help?

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I chose the quick solution copy and paste Oct 31, 2012

I chose the quick solution copy and paste because I didn't have any other pre-translated text. I might try Sarahs solution in other situations as one customer sometimes highlight text that should not be translated (so for this circumstance it might be easier to select columns as they did in the second video).

Thanks for your suggestions everyone!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search