Studio 2011 compatibility flaw: TM adds source text next to the translated text.
Thread poster: Pedro Castro

Pedro Castro  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 31, 2012

Greetings to everyone.

This is an addition to the flaw list: Once again, I translated a DOC file by using Workbench so as to process it in Studio 2011. The translation process went fine, I exported my Workbench TM to my Studio 2011 TM and I started working.

Surprise! Once I confirm my segment, I see something like this on the Studio 2011 interphase (I just used the Word bilingual format so as to expose my case):

-------------------------------------------------------------------
{ 0 > Source text < 100 > Translation. Source text. < 0 }
-------------------------------------------------------------------

"What on EARTH?", I thought (in very different words). This is an ongoing behavior when working with the so called "compatibility" that Studio 2011 has. No matter what I do to edit the segment. It stays the same. The only solution is to finish my work on Studio and go back to the Word-Workbench interphase and fix everything from there (So, no matter how much I avoid working with this classic mode, I end up doing it again :/)

¿Am I missing something when doing all the conversion/export/take-15-to-30-additional-minutes-for-comfortably-using-Studio-instead-of-Workbench thing? ¿Any thoughts? ¿Similar experiences?

Thanks in advance

Pedro

[Edited at 2012-10-31 06:04 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

yllea
Local time: 13:36
English to Estonian
+ ...
Studio 2011: source text next to target text Oct 31, 2012

Hi there!
I was just going to write about this issue today, as I am also struggling with this all the time.
My scenario is the following: I open a bilingual .doc file (which has been prepared by my client with an older Trados version) in Studio and translate it there. If the pretranslated file has source text in the target segment (in case there was no match in the memory), I delete it in Studio and type my target text into the column. At this point I don't see the source text in the target segment. However, when I close the Editor and re-open the file, I can see that the source text has re-appeared in the target segment next to my translation. When I now delete the source text again and save, close Editor and re-open the file again, it's fine, i.e. no source text. But it takes time to do so.
Thanks for any suggestions!
Ülle

[Redigeeritud 2012-10-31 14:50 GMT]

Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Annoying, isn't it? Oct 31, 2012

[quote]Ülle Allsalu wrote:

Hi there!
I was just going to write about this issue today, as I am also struggling with this all the time.
My scenario is the following: I open a bilingual .doc file (which has been prepared by my client with an older Trados version) in Studio and translate it there. If the pretranslated file has source text in the target segment (in case there was no match in the memory), I delete it in Studio and type my target text into the column. At this point I don't see the source text in the target segment. However, when I close the Editor and re-open the file, I can see that the source text has re-appeared in the target segment next to my translation. When I now delete the source text again and save, close Editor and re-open the file again, it's fine, i.e. no source text. But it takes time to do so.
Thanks for any suggestions!
Ülle

eritud 2012-10-31 14:50 GMT]

Hey there, Ülle, and thanks for writing.

Your experience is actually what I go through as well, but I was so frustrated and tired that I just didn't want to go into so many details. I think the worst part of this is that the TM stays the same. I tried editing the translation unit, I even deleted the unit and made a new one. It just didn't work. I believe that tags have something to do with this. Just a speculation.

I hope the SDL Support staff dont' leave this one without an answer. I think that, at least, they should take note.

Happy translating

Pedro

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:36
English
Can anyone share... Oct 31, 2012

... and sdlxliff with this phenomena and also the source file?

Thanks

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sent Oct 31, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

... and sdlxliff with this phenomena and also the source file?

Thanks

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Hi Paul. I've sent the files. Thanks for reading the post.

Regards,

Pedro

Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL provided suggestion. Still no direct solution Nov 1, 2012

Hello to everyone. Paul from SDL already reviewed my file and, as I was suspecting, this may have something to do with wrong tags.

Paul found that, somehow, the TagID in the target text was different than that of the source text (Either I copied it there or the ghost in the machine made its own will, hehe). He then replaced the incorrect tags with the original ones, saved, closed, reopened, and everything was fine now. He says me and Ülle are the first to report this, but I'm sure this is happening to a lot of people who just don't have the time to participate here or maybe just expect some patch to come out.

Either way, Paul's suggestion seems to be a temporary solution you can use.

Thanks, Paul and Ülle.

Regards,

Pedro

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 compatibility flaw: TM adds source text next to the translated text.

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search