Thread poster: Alexandre Oberlin

Alexandre Oberlin  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:19
English to French
+ ...
Oct 31, 2012

Hi all,

I can't use the verification tool to any decent productivity level because Trados Studio does not switch to the concerned segment when an error/warning message is selected in the list. Moreover the position inside the message list seems to be lost each time I leave it to go to the editor. Is there a way to jump back and forth between the message list and editor window using the keyboard, keeping the current position?

Such things have been standard for ages in traditional panes and windows, but I suppose that a software publisher who would not provide his users with fancy floating windows which are a complete drag rather than normal functional windows would not consider himself afloat with the concurrence.

I will gladly be proven wrong and provided with relevant shortcuts

I searched for Windows 7 and Trados Studio shortcuts with no avail.

Cheers

Alexandre

[Edited at 2012-10-31 07:33 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Which version? Oct 31, 2012

You don't mention which Studio you are using. Studio 2011 saw a big improvement in verification. Each error message comes up in a pop-up window where you can enter any changes and click to the next error, highlighting the relevant segment at the same time.

Maybe you're still using Studio 2009?

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Upgrading just to get basic functionality? Oct 31, 2012

Thank you very much Emma for your quick answer.

I am using TS 2009 SP3. However all I need is basic functionality, and I don't see why I should have to constantly run after the latest products to get that. In my experience, upgrading usually means hours and hours lost again searching how to resolve new issues.

Sometimes I really wonder if they don't wreck the new products now and then so that we have a real reason to upgrade. Proprietary format upgrading is one of their tricks too.

I don't care too much about pop-up windows. Is it at least possible to run the entire verification process from the keyboard ?

Alexandre

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Workaround to carry out verification using the keyboard only Nov 1, 2012

Alexandre Oberlin wrote:
Is it at least possible to run the entire verification process from the keyboard ?

In case I'm not alone to have fallen out with my mouse, here is a workaround:
1. Transform the message list into a floating window using the menu under the orange down arrow.
2. Unpin the floating message list.

You can now hit the Return key in the message list to go to the corresponding segment in the editor.
To come back, just type ALT+TAB as you do to switch between any windows.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Alexandre

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to efficiently use verification?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search