Studio 2011: new translations are not registered/saved in legacy TM
Thread poster: Jens Lober
Jens Lober
Jens Lober  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 05:10
English to Danish
Nov 1, 2012

I am working with ttx files and legacy TM, but the new translations I enter are not saved in the TM while I translate, which means that I cannot find these i concordance search and repetitions are not found in TM. Anyone got a magic solution?

Kind Regards
Jens

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Is the TM updated? Nov 1, 2012

Do you have the TM marked to be updated under Project Settings -> Translation Memories?

Is the TM linked under All languages or one of the language pairs?

Jens Lober
Denmark
English to Danish
TOPIC STARTER
...thanks Anna! Nov 1, 2012

Update was not marked. Thought this was a default setting. When do you not want to update the TM?

Kind Regards
Jens

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
It's always good to check! Nov 1, 2012

I sometimes get a file that for one reason or another I do not want to add to my own main TM.

For instance a standard letter or medical record with a lot of names or confidential details, but nothing really worth adding to the already large legacy TM.

I then set the main TM not to update - so I can find all the standard segments from there, but will not have the confidential details added if they are unlikely ever to come up again.

I can create a separate T
... See more
I sometimes get a file that for one reason or another I do not want to add to my own main TM.

For instance a standard letter or medical record with a lot of names or confidential details, but nothing really worth adding to the already large legacy TM.

I then set the main TM not to update - so I can find all the standard segments from there, but will not have the confidential details added if they are unlikely ever to come up again.

I can create a separate TM for the client, and then, as this is small, I can send a TMX if required, or remove names etc. before importing any useful segments to my main TM.

Definitely one of the advantages of Studio 2011.
Collapse

Jens Lober
Denmark
English to Danish
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, that could be an option ... Nov 1, 2012

But I do not have many direct clients. And I do not think it is wise to add translations from agencies to your local private TM – I think that it is in violation with signed NDAs. The end-client owns the TM once delivery/payment has been made.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011: new translations are not registered/saved in legacy TM

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »