Thread poster: TheTranslator86

TheTranslator86
Turkey
Local time: 16:36
English to Turkish
+ ...
Nov 1, 2012

Hello All,

Can anyone help as to how I can convert language pairs. My TM is English-Turkish and I want to make it Turkish English.

The situation is so urgent. Thanks for your replies in advance.

Sinan

Yigit Ati  Identity Verified
Turkey
English to Turkish
+ ...
TMX Nov 1, 2012

Hi Sinan,

I will try to explain this procedure as simple as possible. If you find my instructions difficult to understand, drop me an e-mail.

1. Export your tm into the TMX format.

2. Open the exported TMX file in a text editor such as NotePad or NotePad Plus

3. Look for "srclang" and update language codes. Make a google search for appropriate language codes.

4. Continue looking for "srclang" and update every instance with the appropriate language code.

5. Save.

6. Open an empty translation memory with the correct language pairs.

7. Import updated translation memory.

Liselotte K. de Hennig  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 10:36
Spanish to German
+ ...
Trados version? Nov 1, 2012

Hi Sinan,
what Trados version do you use?

Perhaps somebody can tell you whether SDLTMReverseLangs or SDL Translation Memory Management Utility works with your language combination.

Kind regards
Liselotte

FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:36
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Misunderstood Nov 1, 2012

Yigit Ati wrote:

Hi Sinan,

I will try to explain this procedure as simple as possible. If you find my instructions difficult to understand, drop me an e-mail.

1. Export your tm into the TMX format.

2. Open the exported TMX file in a text editor such as NotePad or NotePad Plus

3. Look for "srclang" and update language codes. Make a google search for appropriate language codes.

4. Continue looking for "srclang" and update every instance with the appropriate language code.

5. Save.

6. Open an empty translation memory with the correct language pairs.

7. Import updated translation memory.

I strongly suspect that you misunderstood the original poster.

There are two ways in which a TM might need to be reversed.
What Yigit Ati describes is necessary the languages in a TM were accidentally mislabeled, i.e. when the Turkish text shows up as English in Trados because somebody got the two mixed up at some point. I don't think that's the case here.
As I understand it, the OP has a perfectly good EN->TUR TM, and would like to use it for a translation in the TUR->EN direction. What you do in that case is:
- Export the TM to TMX
- Create a new TUR->EN TM in Trados
- Import the TMX into the new TM

If you need to do this to many TMs and/or you need to do it often, you could consider SDLTMReverseLangs or SDL Translation Memory Management Utility as mentioned by Liselotte. For a single TM that you need to reverse once, there is no point in installing either of these tools.

TheTranslator86
Turkey
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What I use Nov 1, 2012

I am using trados 2007.

It seems that Ati's answer worked. I will try it now.

FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
srclang Nov 1, 2012

Sinan Evcan wrote:

I am using trados 2007.

It seems that Ati's answer worked. I will try it now.

On closer inspection, I misread Ati's post a bit. I though it involved swithching the language codes in the TMX in each TU. In fact, it was just about changing the srclang tag, which will have no effect on anything.

CAT tools handle language directions "smartly" and ignore the srclang tag when a TMX is imported into an existing TM. I.e. you can take the same TMX file and import it into a TUR->EN TM or an EN->TUR TM. It will work in both directions without modifications, because Trados knows which language is which and imports them accordingly. So you can skip the step of changing the scrlang tag and just export the TM, create a new TM with the correct language direction and import the TMX that was created during the export.

Maybe Trados relies on the srclang tag if you upgrade a TMX without specifying the language direction, but I'm not sure that's even possible.

[Edited at 2012-11-01 20:09 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Correct.... Nov 1, 2012

FarkasAndras wrote:

....So you can skip the step of changing the scrlang tag and just export the TM, create a new TM with the correct language direction and import the TMX that was created during the export....

... all you need to do in 2007 is this.

1. Export your TM to TMX
2. Create a TM in the opposite direction
3. Import your TMX

Regards

Paul

Sylvia Filipova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 15:36
Bulgarian to English
+ ...
Please help me use this technique of Trados TM Language Pair Conversion Jun 13, 2014

Please help me use this technique of Trados TM Language Pair Conversion - All I'm getting is the error message "The Language Pair of the import file does match the language pair of the Translation memory" - I'm using SDL Trados 2011. I think I remember doing it many times in the past without a problem, but now it just doesn't work

[Edited at 2014-06-13 08:38 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados TM Language Pair Conversion

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search