Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID failed, error 80040154
Thread poster: eric ragu

eric ragu  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:10
English to French
+ ...
Nov 4, 2012

Hi everybody,

I am currently trying to create a project on SDL 2007 Freelance which I got as I bought the package SDL Trados Studio 2009.

When I reach the step where I could add a terminology database, I get this message:

Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {XXX} failed due to the following error: 80040154.

As I am using Windows 7, I run the selfregister.bat file as an administrator, but it did not change anything at the problem.

Could anyone give me a trick to be able to add a terminology database without getting in trouble?

Thank you very much in advance!

Kind regards,

Eric

Direct link Reply with quote

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
SelfRegister_Not_Silent.bat Nov 4, 2012

Hi Eric,

Run the one above and see if you are getting any error messages. Also, open the DOS prompt as Administrator and then run the .bat file, should do the trick.

HTH,

Bernard

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SelfRegister_Not_Silent.bat run, now error 0x8004005 Nov 4, 2012

Hi Bernard,

thank you for your answer!

I run the SelfRegister_Not_Silent.bat, restarted the computer but the problem remains. Then, I opened the DOS prompt as Administrator and then run the .bat file but I got an error 0x8004005.

I typed in the DOS prompt following code:

regsvr32 Softpub.dll
regsvr32 Wintrust.dll
regsvr32 Initpki.dll

In order to resolve that another problem and got an error message: Impossible to load the module "Initpki.dll".

I am a bit desperate because I do not have much computer literacy but I do not give up and will report as soon as I got a solution.

Kind regards,

Eric

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Always worth trying the KB Nov 4, 2012

Hi,

Try this KB:

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=2527&source=article&c=12&cid=23

Regards

Paul

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
KB followed and problem is still there Nov 5, 2012

Hi Paul,

I already followed this kb with the files selfregister.bat and the selfregister_not_silent.bat as administrator and I got in both cases this error message:

Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {XXX} failed due to the following error: 80040154.

The problem seems to be caused by this module "Initpki.dll".

I am thus opened for every trick that could help me go forward.

I will report as soon as I got it!

Kind regards,

Eric

English to French
+ ...
sfc /scannow Nov 5, 2012

Hi Eric,

Try this command (run as administrator of course) - it will scan and repair files and creates a log file if one or more files cannot be repaired.

Good luck,

Bernard

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
sfc /scannow command tested Nov 5, 2012

Hi Bernard,

thank you very much for your helpfulness!

I run the command you indicated and the program said that all files are normal. I continue to look for a solution as I really need SDL 2007 Freelance and report as soon as I get something

Kind regards,

English to French
+ ...
Microsoft KB Nov 5, 2012

Hi Eric,

I think there's some sort of issue with your OS, go to the MS Website and search for initpki.dll Windows * where * = Windows version. Ultimately, you may have to reinstall your OS, my guess is that some program corrupted one or more files on your OS.

You could also run chkdsk /r/f - cleans your HD from logical errors - Warning! Can take quite a while if you have a large HD.

Another thing, you could try is run Windows Update and check whether you can download any updates if not that is probably the issue.

Bernard

[Edited at 2012-11-05 17:06 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID failed, error 80040154

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search