Studio converts 5 MB .ttx to 120 MB .sdlxliff - Why?
Thread poster: Gyula Erdész

Gyula Erdész
Hungary
Local time: 08:26
Member (2005)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Nov 5, 2012

Dear Colleagues,

I have just received several files to be translated in .ttx format. After importing them into Trados Studio 2011 I noticed that the converted .sdxliff files are extremely large and I have no idea how the 5 MB original .ttx became a 120 MB .sdlxliff during the conversion process.

Any ideas?

Kind regards,

Gyula

Vocabulum
Not suprised Gyula, Nov 6, 2012

Szia

I have also experienced 4 MB TTX files inflating to 140 MB SDLxliff in Studio = the program could not do anything with these files. I firmyl believe that Studio can only work reliable with its proprietrary format; once a conversion is made from any legacy format, you should be careful. I recently had a project of some 4-5 MB TTX files, and my dual core machine with 8 GB RAm could not do anything with it, it struggled for 3 hours and then I got fed up.

Üdv

Voca

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Maybe try reducing... Nov 6, 2012

... the generation of structure content on the TRADOStag filetype. This can often make a difference to the size of the sdlxliff with some TTX files.

Regards

Paul

Vocabulum
I dont know how to do it, Paul Jan 28, 2013

I am a translator who is stunned by the mere fact that a 5 MB TTX file gets inflated to 426 MB, and takes 5 minutes to save.
After all, it is a cunning way to teach people to take responsibility for they steps - once you clicked Save, you will ban yourself from doing anything for the next 5 minutes.

[Edited at 2013-01-28 21:22 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Maybe try these steps.. Jan 28, 2013

Hi Voca,

Make these changes in Studio under Tools -> Options -> FileTypes.

Disable the generation of structure content:

Then reduce the size of the embedded file in the sdlxliff:

These steps may help. The problem with some files, depending on the content, is that a lot of information has to be parsed and segmented and can easily consist of thousands or millions of segments both translatable (visible) and structural (none visible). Each segment must be tokenised so that individual words, terms, dates, tags etc can be recognised and processed accordingly. This can result in massive files that are hard to handle and it may be better to see if they can be broken down by splitting the original sdlxliff into smaller files using the SDLXLIFF Split and Merge application.

If you like you can send me the TTX and I'll see whether I can find a way to process this more easily? It's not always possible but may be worth a look.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Happy few... Jan 28, 2013

Vocabulum wrote:

I am a translator who is stunned by the mere fact that a 5 MB TTX file gets inflated to 426 MB, and takes 5 minutes to save.

Consider you're happy.
Few days ago, I tested a TTX file generated from an AuthorIT XML.
For a 5 MB file, it took one and half hour to save it (over the LAN).
Only 16 MB...
With a 426 MB output file, it would take almost 2 days, I suppose...

Cheers
GG

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Ditto Jan 29, 2013

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
Few days ago, I tested a TTX file generated from an AuthorIT XML.
For a 5 MB file, it took one and half hour to save it (over the LAN).

A colleague of mine is working on an AuthorIT XML, though this time it was imported directly to Studio, not over TTX.

The SDLXLIFF file size is about 5 MB and it takes Studio exactly 1 hour to save (Intel i5 3.1 GHz, 4 MB RAM, HDD@7.200 rpm). Looks like the excessive structure clutter is causing this...

Sathyan_n
India
Disable the generation of structure content Sep 30, 2015

Hi,
By disabling the "generation of structure content", would it in any way affect the original file structure?

Regards,
Sathyan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio converts 5 MB .ttx to 120 MB .sdlxliff - Why?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search