International Translation Day 2017

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event on September 26-27th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Error generating target files from Structured FrameMaker 10 files
Thread poster: Anne_B
Anne_B  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:35
English to German
Nov 5, 2012

Hi all,

I am currently using SDL Studio 2011 Professional (SP2) to translate a set of Structured Framemaker 10 files.

My problem is that I cannot generate target translations. Originally, the errors occurred after I translated the files (error message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object.")

I thought the files had some tag issues and did a tag check, but the tag check found no errors. I then ran a pseudo translation round-trip on the same files, and encountered the same error again. Hence, I assume that SDL Studio probably has an issue with the files. I tried to modify the files, e.g. saved them as Unstructured FrameMaker and converted Insets into text, but without success.

I have read other posts on proz where people had similar issues but none of the posts really contained a solution, therefore I'm trying my luck again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Edit:
I just found that if I clear the check boxes "Process reference formats", "Process autonumber definitions", and "Process element definitions", the translations can be converted without problem. This seems to be a bug in Studio.

I hope this information is useful for anyone who was running into the same problems...
[Edited at 2012-11-05 15:52 GMT]


2nd Edit:
Just when I thought I had fixed this, I ran into the same issue, but apparently this time it is caused by something else than the check boxes in the SDL Studio file settings (mentioned above). Again, target translations cannot be generated from translated files (structured FM v10), even though the tag check does not find any errors.
The error message is "Specified argument was out of the range of valid values. Parameter name: index".
Any ideas what causes this error and how this can be fixed?

[Edited at 2012-11-05 17:08 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Anninili
Local time: 18:35
English to German
+ ...
Maybe hidden conditional text? Nov 5, 2012

Hello,

we also work with Frame10 and Studio 2011 but use plain Frame, not structured. We also come across your error message, for us it always turned out to be a problem with conditional text: either we had "to many" conditions or "to much hidden text" or whatever-related-to-conditions.

Tag check etc. did not show any errors.

As soon as the tech authors deleted some conditions (and we did the entire project again), our problem was solved, we could generate the target text. This is not really the way it should work but as a "quick" fix it works for us...

Sorry, no solution but maybe a hint where else to look?

Cheers,
Anneliese


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Anne_B  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:35
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Removing some conditional text only partly solves the issue Nov 6, 2012

Hi Anneliese,

Thanks, I think I'll try that. My FM files do contain a fair amount of conditional text, and I can try to reduce it to the bare minimum. It's not my preferred solution, but I'll definitely give it a go!

I just tested this on a small file. I removed some conditional text and created a single-file project in Studio. I'll have to retranslate more or less everything (or closely examine every match), because the TM already includes segments that SDL Studio finds problematic (for which reason I don't know).

I've seen from some posts that you (and other colleagues) had the same or very similar problems - I'm surprised that SDL hasn't managed to provide a fix for that bug.

Cheers,
Anne


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error generating target files from Structured FrameMaker 10 files

Advanced search







PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search