Auto propagating repetitions between files in SDL Studio 2011
Thread poster: Laura Bigoni

Laura Bigoni
English to Italian
Nov 5, 2012

Hello, I have recently started working in SDL Studio 2011 and I have an issue that I have not been able to resolve.
I had a project with several files and lots of repetitions between them.
When I used to work on similar projects in SDLX, I would work on the first file and, once happy with it, update the TM so that I could apply it to the second file to leverage the repetitions - and so on with the following files.
However, in Studio, once I finished the first file and moved on to the second, the matches from the previous files would be recognised as Context Matches or 100%s, but they would not get automatically applied to the translation and I have not found a way to do it. I ended up having to insert and confirm each segment individually (Ctrl+T tp copy the translation from the TM and Ctlr+Enter to move to the next translatable segment).
I have checked the auto-propagate options and auto-propagate is definitely enabled (in fact it works within the same file) but I have not found a way to leverage the repetitions from one file to the other.
This is a urgent issue as I will be facing it again soon in future projects and I need to resolve it as soon as possible, can anybody help?
Advice gratefully received, thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

J Fox  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 16:52
German to English
+ ...
Merge files Nov 5, 2012

When you set up the project, you can merge the files into one SDLXLIFF document. If you do this, any repetitions are propagated automatically.

You could set up the project again to make use of this. First you should update your main translation memory from your current project, and then set up the project again. in the project settings, after selecting the files, highlight them all and merge them.

Hope this helps,
Jayne

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:52
English
Run the Pretranslate batch task.... Nov 5, 2012

Laura Bigoni wrote:

When I used to work on similar projects in SDLX, I would work on the first file and, once happy with it, update the TM so that I could apply it to the second file to leverage the repetitions - and so on with the following files.

... after the first file, then after the second file etc. It doesn't take long and will apply the matches based on your updated TM irrespective of whether you merged the fes or not. Just as you did with SDLX.

Regards

Paul

Laura Bigoni
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you - Pretranslate files works! Nov 6, 2012

Thank you so much for your suggestions, I have tried the Pretranslate batch function and indeed I solved the problem.

Good to know as well that files can be merged - I am sure this could prove useful for other projects.

Thanks so much for your help!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Auto propagating repetitions between files in SDL Studio 2011

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search