Studio 2011: How to change source language in package?
Thread poster: Constance Mannshardt

Constance Mannshardt  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:44
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 7, 2012

Hope somebody can help me out:
I opened a package sent by the client and didn't pay attention, setting the wrong source language > German, when it should have been English.
I tried almost everything: I removed the project from the list, saved the file again, without any effort. I don't know what else to do and should be delivering tomorrow in the morning. I am simply not able to open the project and change the source language to English!
Should I try to save the project with another name?

Any hints? Thank you a lot.

Direct link Reply with quote

Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
a possible solution Nov 7, 2012

hi Constance,

there is a method to start from scratch with project packages again.
I would recommend you to delete the project from the Project list AND also delete the folder in your PC (possibly, in My documents>Studio 2011>Projects) that contains the project you had initially opened. this should leave you with the possibility of doing everything again.

please try my solution. that is what I do whenever I have to reopen a project package for some reason.

good luck!

Germany
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:-( Nov 7, 2012

Thank you so much, Lorenzo, I tried your suggestion again (I had already deleted the project in the project list AND in my folder in PC before saving it again and trying to open it from scratch) and it didn't work. Since it seems Studio "recognizes" the project file, I even tried to rename the file, but it didn't work, too.

This should be a very simple thing to do!

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Unclear to Me Nov 7, 2012

Hi Constance,

Normally, if you open a package -> Using Open Package, you should not be prompted for a language pair as far as I know (sdlppx).

If I remember rightly this only happens when opening an sdlxliff file but not 100% sure.

Anyway, an .sldppx is basically a zip file, so what you could do is change the extension from sdlppx to zip and unzip the lot and then use File Open Document and select the sdlxliff files you want to open.

HTH,

Bernard

Germany
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Client mistaken Nov 7, 2012

but it seems my client created the mistake, since, no matter what I do, I get the message that the source language is set to German (although the source text is in English).

I did what you suggested, Bernard (thank you!) and by creating a new project was given the opportunity to select the source language, what I did (En) and when I tried to add the file to be translated I got the message that the file's language was German.

So I sent the client an email asking him to correct this.
Thank you both for your prompt support!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011: How to change source language in package?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search