Studio 2011 SP1+FM10: Target file cannot be generated
Thread poster: Anninili
Anninili
Local time: 07:07
English to German
+ ...
Nov 8, 2012

Hello,

I am running again and again (at least once a week) into the following error message:
"The 'whatever tag' on line 1 does not match the end tag of 'whatever'. Line 1, position xxxxx.

'Whatever' can be whatever, a cf tag, a para tag, tbc. Verification is not really helpful, especially if line 1 has only one entry of lets say 10 characters, I try very hard, but I cannot find the position 43 876 in that line... All tags seem to be okay and when I run the verification tool before the conversion, I have no errors. The errors appear as soon as I try to save the file as target (or run the batch), I also checked the "all content" view, everything is fine but no conversion possible.

I then do what I always do when encountering conversion problems with FM and Studio: I delete unused conditions (i.e. get the tech authors to delete them....) and everything is okay (well not for tech author team but for me...). But today this did not work, I have three files that still will not convert. One file for example would convert only if I delete all conditions in Framemaker (well, I better do not tell what the tech author team said to me about that...), does anyone have another solution for this? I cannot delete applied conditions, this is a no-go. Re-applying conditions is also not really a solution but I need to get the files converted back into mif?

Btw: what does this error message try to tell me at all? All my tags are closed! All I could think of is that something in the MIF universe is not working as it should? And why can I convert files with far more conditions and far more text? It cannot be te size of the file then or the number of conditions?

Desperate,
Anneliese

Direct link Reply with quote

Anne_B  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:07
English to German
Did you find a solution to your problem? Jan 3, 2013

Hi Anneliese,

Have you managed to find a solution to your problem that you cannot generate the target files? I'm asking because I have encountered the same issue and am wondering whether someone has found a real solution to it – i.e. not just workarounds such as removing all conditions, tags, etc. from the FrameMaker files.

I am writing and translating documentation; hence I can easily edit the original files as needed without annoying anybody other than myself, obviously, but there are limits. It would be a shame to not be able to use specific FM features because SDL Studio can't handle them.

Have you had any information from SDL support? I'm surprised that SDL doesn't act on this very common issue; it seems that this bug creeps up again and again (regardless whether the source format is Word, FrameMaker, or else...).

It would be great if you could share any experiences that would help solve this issue.

Happy new year
Anne

Anninili
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No... Jan 7, 2013

... unfortunately I do not have a solution that works consistent, I tried several approaches, some work for one file but not for another and viceversa. I really really have no clue and I find very annoying, thinking of switching the program as this really costs us to much time.

Sorry I only can give you list of what I tried and what SOMETIMES helped:
- saving the files in sdlxliff, create a new project, do Perfect Match eh voila...
- deleting unused conditions
- deleting more conditions
- deleting all conditions
- checking whether the language in the source document is set to one language (some files converted without problems after I found that one paragraph was set to english, changed it back to german and everything was fine)
- desperately saved everything in MIF7 and work with STagger (bad....)
- Even tried the "messing up with MIF in text editor" approach.... (worse that using Stagger)
- go on holidays and opening the files after 2 weeks rest (this was the strangest solution I had but I liked it, maybe if SDL could pay for more holidays....)

What I cannot do: Upgrade to SP2R as it has a severe bug with MIFs (at least for us it is severe) so I do not know whether the problem is solved there?

BTW, this issue seems to be an issue for nearly a year now:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/216395-strange_tag_error_in_sdl_studio_2011_when_trying_to_create_target_version_of_file.html

Regards,
Anneliese

[Edited at 2013-01-07 10:48 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-01-07 10:48 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Can I see a file like this? Jan 7, 2013

Hi,

If anyone can share the original source file and a fully translated sdlxliff that won't save target I'd be pleased to take a look at it?

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

United Kingdom
English to German
Sample files sent Jan 7, 2013

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for your offer to look into this.

I just sent you a file for which I cannot generate the target, including the source file.

Thanks again and kind regards,
Anne

[Edited at 2013-01-08 11:22 GMT]

United Kingdom
English to German
Issue not solved Jan 17, 2013

Hi Anneliese,

I just wanted to update you (and anyone else who reads this post) on the progress of this issue.

Paul from SDL suggested that the problem with the file I provided was the Process Reference Formats setting in the Project File Type Settings dialog. However, I created another project using the same source file where this check box was cleared, and encountered the same issue. I informed Paul about this but have not received a reply.

According to Paul, SDL is aware that the Process Reference Formats setting is causing problems and is hoping to fix this for SP3 later this year.

Just FYI, I also found that I can't generate the target files if I select the check boxes Process Autonumber Definitions and Process Element Definitions (both in the Project File Type Settings dialog for MIF files).

And so the quest goes on...

Regards,
Anne

Anninili
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Jan 21, 2013

... for your info!

At the moment I am dealing with pest instead of cholera and fighting against the "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error in really every single translation file I have to save... I am so fed up with looking for work arounds and meddling with settings and so, I really really really loved to have at least ONE project that just runs smooth... Anyway: at least the tag issue did not pop up for some weeks *puh* - I cannot tell why because I didn't change anything...

I checked my templates: The "process reference format" is always ticked on, as well as the "Process Autonumber Definitions" but I never use "Process Element Definitions" - but the tag error does not pop up on all files although they all use the same settings? I played around with the settings on my last tag error file but it did have any effects on getting a target.

Okay back to my objects without instances or so...

Regards,
Anneliese

Anninili
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Any news on this topic? Jul 2, 2013

Hello,

I am sorry, that I am a pest with this issue but now it becomes a real show stopper for us. I have a book with 22 files, 19 of them convert back to mif without any problems, 3 of them do not and I really really really can't get it work - I mean, I reached the point where removing more from the FM files means to get simple text files (which is not what we want...).

Any ideas for work arounds/new SPs to be delivered? The last thing I can think of, would be to go back to Trados 2007 which is a real problem as I
a) have to convert the FM files from 10 to 7, something our tech authors department is not willing to even consider....
b) have convert the Tm I think? No sure but I suppose so? Haven't really work with 2007...

Desperate,
Anneliese

icylave  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 13:07
Member (2013)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Sent two mif files to you Mar 18, 2014

Hi, I met the same problem and I emailed you two mif files.

I have to say that I used memoQ 2011 R2 as a workaround for these files.

SDL Support wrote:

Hi,

If anyone can share the original source file and a fully translated sdlxliff that won't save target I'd be pleased to take a look at it?

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 SP1+FM10: Target file cannot be generated

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search