Thread poster: David Rumsey
David Rumsey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:57
Member (2004)
Danish to English
+ ...
Nov 9, 2012

I am trying to add an autosuggest library to a project I am working on, but I cannot access the Project Settings because I get an error:

"The specified project name and location result in an invalid project file path. The specified path, file name or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters and the directory name must be less than 240 characters."

My file path to the project file is:
C:\Users\drumsey\Documents\Translation\2012\1211022_Semxxxxx_1203_5034_InxxxrSystem\1203-5034_InterSystems_to_translate

but this is well below 240 characters.

I am using Studio 2011 SP2
Windows 7 64 bit

Direct link Reply with quote

Sushan Harshe
India
Local time: 19:27
English to Hindi
+ ...
just do what you have to... Nov 9, 2012

Hi David,

Yes; you have to put your files in such location where you will not get this error msg.
Instade of your present folder structure C:\Users\drumsey\Documents\Translation\......
make just C:\xxx\2012\1211022_Semxxxxx_1203_5034_InxxxrSystem\1203-5034_InterSystems_to_translate
this will solve your problem.
And; always avoid long folder/file names.
Regards,
Sudarshan

David Rumsey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:57
Member (2004)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Moving the file location did not work Nov 10, 2012

To shorten the path, I tried moving the file to my desktop, but that did not help.

I have other Studio files that are placed in the same location as this one and I can access the project settings for them. It must be some particular setting for this file?

Regardless, the error message is incorrect since neither the file name nor the directory path exceed 200 characters. Well below the maximum.

Any other advice would be welcome.

thanks,

JennyItaly
Local time: 15:57
Italian to English
Worth a try .. Nov 10, 2012

Hi David,
May sound silly but a similar error happened to me and I resolved it by removing the dash between the numbers .. for some reason it was not accepted.
Worth a try ! ...

Have a nice evening
Jen

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Are you opening the file directly in Studio? Oct 11, 2013

I could reproduce the same issue but only in this context:

a) The source file name and its path are longer than 110 characters

b) I open directly the source file from Studio without going through the New Project Wizard.

If I create the project with the Wizar, I don't the get the error.

Does it match your situation?

Daniel

Barbara Micheletto
Italy
Local time: 15:57
Russian to Italian
+ ...
Strange as it may seem... Nov 19, 2014

I was getting the same error message while I was translating in Studio an original Excel file. I was not able to finalize my file too. The problem disappeared after I took care of a warning relative to an error in some paragraphs lenght!

Barbara

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invalid project file path

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search