https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/237079-studio_2011_handling_capacity.html

Studio 2011 'handling capacity'?
Thread poster: JennyItaly
JennyItaly
JennyItaly
Local time: 05:05
Italian to English
Nov 10, 2012

Hi All,
Basic info: I have just 4 GB of ram (3.5 GB usable) .. Windows 7 32-bit .. AMD Sempron 3200+ 1.8 GHz.
I have been using STUDIO 2011 PRO for about a month (Upgraded from Trados 2007 - never used 2009) and although I have seen long posts here about how slow it is .. and CPU usage .. but up until yesterday I had found it much quicker than my old ..WORD 2007/TRADOS 2007/MUTLITERM 2009 ensemble which could get very very taxing on my PC.
Yesterday I received a package prep
... See more
Hi All,
Basic info: I have just 4 GB of ram (3.5 GB usable) .. Windows 7 32-bit .. AMD Sempron 3200+ 1.8 GHz.
I have been using STUDIO 2011 PRO for about a month (Upgraded from Trados 2007 - never used 2009) and although I have seen long posts here about how slow it is .. and CPU usage .. but up until yesterday I had found it much quicker than my old ..WORD 2007/TRADOS 2007/MUTLITERM 2009 ensemble which could get very very taxing on my PC.
Yesterday I received a package prepared in 2009 which I just cannot load on any of my PCs or notebook.
I may be completely wrong here but I really think it is asking too much of one programme. Word/Trados could never have dealt with this.

1 financial report file - 110,000 words; 65000 pretranslated.
The XLIFF file is 80 MB
Packed with charts/tables/balance sheets etc etc.
In word it opens in 370 pages.

I am totally ignorant here but, is this programme REALLY expected to be able to deal with 1 file like this???
When the agency package it up .. can they split it (sorry I have no experience on this end) ??

Apart from the fact that at present it takes about 35 mins to load but then when you try to put the cursor on the first line in edit ... it freezes and that's it, but I would not feel "confident" trying to work on something so big in just 1 file that ... could go very very wrong.

Any comments on this issue would be most welcome!!

Jen
Collapse

JennyItaly
JennyItaly
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Update ... Nov 12, 2012

They now sent me the job divided into 2 projects .. the imported file is now about 32 MB ... but still no luck.
56 minutes to load.
Then as soon as I placed the cursor on the first section ... CPU hit 100% and all went sadly grey ....... and that was it.

Is 32 MB still too large ??
Is anyone else working on such 'large' files ??

Jen

Gyula Erdesz
Gyula Erdesz
Hungary
Member (2009)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
No matter what kind of PC you have, Studio struggles with larger files Nov 12, 2012

Dear Jenny,

I was in the same shoe a couple of days ago. I was giben an sdlxliff file in the size of 100 MB to translete. The opening of the file went quite fast, but the saving took 25 minutes, which is inacceptable.

According my experiences Trados Studio struggles with files > 50 MB and/or 10.000 segments (these numbers may wary by the hardware and the operation system)

Unfortulately I do not really know any solutions for this problem. My computer is pow
... See more
Dear Jenny,

I was in the same shoe a couple of days ago. I was giben an sdlxliff file in the size of 100 MB to translete. The opening of the file went quite fast, but the saving took 25 minutes, which is inacceptable.

According my experiences Trados Studio struggles with files > 50 MB and/or 10.000 segments (these numbers may wary by the hardware and the operation system)

Unfortulately I do not really know any solutions for this problem. My computer is powerful enough (core i5, 16 GB of RAM), the operation system (Win8) is newly installed, and I grab all the opportunities to make my PC as fast as possible (SSD drive, all superfluous gadgets and apps disabled).

After that I cannot blame anything else but Trados Studio itself for the bad performance.

Regards,

Gyula
Collapse

Jonathan Fray
Jonathan Fray
United States
Local time: 23:05
Portuguese to English
+ ...
MS Security Essentials Nov 12, 2012

Studio 2011 is made to handle files this size. It definetly isn't a problem with Studio as I've already worked on jobs this size.

You need to check if you have MS Security Essentials installed. If you do then this is the reason why your Studio is so sluggish. It conflicts with Microsoft's Antivirus.

Try adding Studio 2011 to you to Security Essentials's Excluded processes and it should work fine.

If you need help knowing how to do this then I can explain.... See more
Studio 2011 is made to handle files this size. It definetly isn't a problem with Studio as I've already worked on jobs this size.

You need to check if you have MS Security Essentials installed. If you do then this is the reason why your Studio is so sluggish. It conflicts with Microsoft's Antivirus.

Try adding Studio 2011 to you to Security Essentials's Excluded processes and it should work fine.

If you need help knowing how to do this then I can explain.

Take a look also at the following thread: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/229145-sdl_trados_studio_2011_sp2_slow-page4.html
Collapse

Gyula Erdesz
Gyula Erdesz
Hungary
Member (2009)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Windows Security Essentials is not the cause of the problem in my case Nov 12, 2012

Thank you for your hint, Jonathan.

I have disabled Security Essentials immediately after installing Windows 8 so the problem is not caused by that app. At least in my case.

Regards,

Gyula

JennyItaly
JennyItaly
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 12, 2012

Wow Gyula your PC sounds more like a rocket!
Lucky you - would be my dream.

Thanks Jonathan, for your reply. I had already read through that link .. and I don't have Mic Ess. installed.
I have already excluded all SDL folders/files from my AV .. and Win Defender.

Maybe it is my PC which is just not powerful enough ... I actually shut down everything even chrome yesterday .. so nothing else could sap the CPU .. but that didn't help.

Thank you bot
... See more
Wow Gyula your PC sounds more like a rocket!
Lucky you - would be my dream.

Thanks Jonathan, for your reply. I had already read through that link .. and I don't have Mic Ess. installed.
I have already excluded all SDL folders/files from my AV .. and Win Defender.

Maybe it is my PC which is just not powerful enough ... I actually shut down everything even chrome yesterday .. so nothing else could sap the CPU .. but that didn't help.

Thank you both anyway!

Jen
Collapse

ErikAnderson3
ErikAnderson3
Local time: 20:05
Might be a version issue Nov 13, 2012

Gyula Erdész wrote:

Thank you for your hint, Jonathan.

I have disabled Security Essentials immediately after installing Windows 8 so the problem is not caused by that app. At least in my case.

Regards,

Gyula

It sounds like some folks have been reporting slowdowns in Studio SP2 compared to SP1. However, other people report that SP2 is faster, so it sounds like a possible hiccup in SP2 that depends upon some other set of factors. (See: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/229145-sdl_trados_studio_2011_sp2_slow.html)

What version of Studio are you using

If you still have the SP1 installer, and if you have the time to uninstall SP2 & install SP1, do you find that SP1 is faster when working on the same files?

Cheers,

-- Erik Anderson

JennyItaly
JennyItaly
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
SP2 Nov 13, 2012

Hi Eric,
thanks for your reply

I have SP2 professional.
I don't have SP1 version.
I asked a friend with 2009 to try opening it, but she had no luck either.

I have in fact managed to divide the file myself .. taking the first 50 page (word pages) creating a new word file, then pre-translating in TRADOS 2007, then I imported into STUDIO 2011 and all is well ..
It has just 670 segments.
So maybe it is a mix of 2011 being slow .. and my
... See more
Hi Eric,
thanks for your reply

I have SP2 professional.
I don't have SP1 version.
I asked a friend with 2009 to try opening it, but she had no luck either.

I have in fact managed to divide the file myself .. taking the first 50 page (word pages) creating a new word file, then pre-translating in TRADOS 2007, then I imported into STUDIO 2011 and all is well ..
It has just 670 segments.
So maybe it is a mix of 2011 being slow .. and my PC which seems to be like a tractor than a rocket !

I've only had STUDIO for a week - I was doubtful because I have been using WORD/TRADOS forever - but I am starting to really appreciate all its 'apps'

Thank you again

Jen

[Edited at 2012-11-13 08:23 GMT]
Collapse

Gyula Erdesz
Gyula Erdesz
Hungary
Member (2009)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
SP2 Nov 13, 2012

Dear Eric,

Thank you for your input. I also run SP2.

To Jenny:
I was told by SDL support that my problem stems from my xml->ttx->sdlxliff workflow which is pretty far from ideal if your xml file is complex. This is why a 5 MB ttx with only 7000 words ends up in a 100 MB sdlxliff after conversion, and why your computer slows down when you process them in Studio.

Regards,

Gyula

JennyItaly
JennyItaly
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Update ... Nov 16, 2012

In the end I simply asked the agency to divide it into 4 separate projects ......approx 15,000 words per file.
Everything is running smoothly now.
Obviously PC was not up to dealing with such a large file
Have a great weekend all

Jen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 'handling capacity'?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »