https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/237214-extra_activation_for_trados_2011_not_working.html

Extra activation for Trados 2011 not working
Thread poster: Mariana Solanet
Mariana Solanet
Mariana Solanet  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:47
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 12, 2012

Hi there,

In October I upgraded from SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus to SDL Trados Studio 2011 Freelance Plus, which includes extra activations. I'm using Studio 2011 and Studio 2009 on my PC without any issues, and when I installed the upgrade in my laptop, I was able to activate and open it there as well.

Yesterday and today, when I tried to open Studio 2011 installed on my laptop, I get a message that says "Activation failed. We cannot complete this activation
... See more
Hi there,

In October I upgraded from SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus to SDL Trados Studio 2011 Freelance Plus, which includes extra activations. I'm using Studio 2011 and Studio 2009 on my PC without any issues, and when I installed the upgrade in my laptop, I was able to activate and open it there as well.

Yesterday and today, when I tried to open Studio 2011 installed on my laptop, I get a message that says "Activation failed. We cannot complete this activation because the license is still registered by SDL for another computer. Check that deactivation was completed on the other computer (the deactivation must be sent to SDL).
(Support reference: License number Already used -23)"

I don't understand what could have happened. What does this mean? I don't want to deactivate anything. Should I unistall it in my laptop and then install it again to see if it works?

Thanks for your suggestion and solution.

Regards,

Mariana Solanet
Collapse

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:47
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Check your licences Nov 12, 2012

What does it say in the "My licences" section of your account on the SDL website?

That might clarify things.

I was looking at it the other day and I also noticed they have a few videos for resolving various licensing issues.

Mariana Solanet
Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Extra activation for Trados 2011 not working Nov 13, 2012

Hi Mark,

In "My licenses", it says that my license has "extra activations" so I should be able to activate my Suite 2011 on my PC AND my laptop, in the same way that I have Suite 2009.
This is not working, because the only information I get from the videos is how I can deactivate my Suite 2011 on my PC, returning the licence to my account and then use the same activation code to activate 2011 on my laptop.
Clearly my "extra activations" are not working. I sent a support
... See more
Hi Mark,

In "My licenses", it says that my license has "extra activations" so I should be able to activate my Suite 2011 on my PC AND my laptop, in the same way that I have Suite 2009.
This is not working, because the only information I get from the videos is how I can deactivate my Suite 2011 on my PC, returning the licence to my account and then use the same activation code to activate 2011 on my laptop.
Clearly my "extra activations" are not working. I sent a support ticket to Trados yesterday asking about this issue, but they have not replied.
I have also checked the videos but none of them address the extra activation issue.
Collapse

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
That's strange Nov 13, 2012

I'll guess you'll have to wait and see what SDL says.

Mariana Solanet
Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Nov 13, 2012

Trados support responded and I was able to reactivate Suite 2011 on my laptop, as well as having it on my desktop computer. It works beautifully.

This is their answer:

Hi

Thank you for logging your request through the Solution Finder

The error message that you recieved means that you were trying to activate the code on a machine that had already had the licence active on there.

I can confirm that your activation code has been
... See more
Trados support responded and I was able to reactivate Suite 2011 on my laptop, as well as having it on my desktop computer. It works beautifully.

This is their answer:

Hi

Thank you for logging your request through the Solution Finder

The error message that you recieved means that you were trying to activate the code on a machine that had already had the licence active on there.

I can confirm that your activation code has been deactivated and you should be able to reactivate without any problems

Please also find a link that includes information on how to get Support and Training

http://tinyurl.com/SDLProductSupport

Kind Regards

SDL Support

Thank you Mark for your support!
Collapse

Claudia Marino
Claudia Marino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
It just happened to me Nov 14, 2012

and I don't accept all this wasting of (precious) time, including the need for reading complicated "how to" send support requests.

Lorenzo Bermejo
Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
it's not so bad Nov 14, 2012

Claudia Marino wrote:

and I don't accept all this wasting of (precious) time, including the need for reading complicated "how to" send support requests.

Claudia, I think SDL Trados' licensing system is a useful achievement and that it favours the user. for example, if you buy Microsoft Office, you will be able to install it in a number of computers, but if those computers break down, you have no choice but to buy the application again. with SDL Trados there is no such problem.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Extra activation for Trados 2011 not working

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »