https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/237370-sdl_trados_2007_compatibility_with_windows_8.html

SDL Trados 2007 compatibility with Windows 8?
Thread poster: Karin Ashing
Karin Ashing
Karin Ashing  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 01:59
English to Swedish
Nov 14, 2012

I have purchased a new, fast computer with Windows 8 installed but don't seem able to use my Trados Workbench (2007) on it?

Tried pasting the Trados.dot and Trados.dotm files into Microsoft Windows, but that did not work.
Have I not found the write place for thes template files, or are the two just not compatible?

Grateful for you input.

Best regards,
Karin

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:59
Finnish to French
Path to Word's startup folder Nov 15, 2012

You need to copy trados8.dotm to Word's Startup folder. The path is the same as on Windows 7, that is:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\Startup

If you installed Office 2010, you need to make sure it's not the 64-bit version of it (the Trados template is not compatible with it). You also need to make sure it's not the Starter edition (which doesn't include support for macros).

Karin Ashing
Karin Ashing  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much Nov 15, 2012

for your help, much appreciated!

I've copied the trados8.dotm to the correct folder and now it seems to work!

Thanks again and best regards!

Karin

Jerry Leuris
Jerry Leuris  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
How to switch from Office 64 bit to 32 bit? Nov 21, 2012

Hi,
Trados is still not working on my PC with Windows 8 and Office 2010. I suspect I have Office 64 bit, but I didn't get a choice to install 32 bit, I knew Trados wasn't compatible.

Any Idea how to come back to 32 bit? In fact Office was pre-instaled by Dell on my PC, I don't have a CD.

Thanks for your help
Jerry

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Ask Microsoft Nov 21, 2012

brudupa wrote:
Any Idea how to come back to 32 bit? In fact Office was pre-instaled by Dell on my PC, I don't have a CD.

Hi Jerry,
I guess that's a question that you should ask at Microsoft. If your pre-installed Office version is full, you should have a license key. It should be possible to downgrade to 32-bit version, but it's definitely worth asking Microsoft about the exact process.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Where to find Office version Nov 21, 2012

brudupa wrote:

I suspect I have Office 64 bit

To confirm, you can go to the File tab and then Help to see the version you have installed.

Jerry Leuris
Jerry Leuris  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
It's Office 32bit, but doesn't work Nov 21, 2012

Thanks for this, in fact I just checked and it's 32-bit! But when I open TagEditor, it won't let me edit the text. All the options on the toolbar (except Open) are grey...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2007 compatibility with Windows 8?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »