Thread poster: hrvatski (X)
hrvatski (X)
hrvatski (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:34
Croatian to French
+ ...
Nov 17, 2012

Dear,

I have two DIFFERENT Translation Memories (EN-FR / FR-EN).

I added translations in TM EN-FR.

I would like to add those new translations in the FR-EN TM.

Please, is it possible, and how to do it?

Thank you.

Regards.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:34
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Populate? Nov 17, 2012

You can run a batch operation and populate the project translation memories. But I do not understand what is a project translation memory and what is a main translation memory. Perhaps someone can enl... See more
You can run a batch operation and populate the project translation memories. But I do not understand what is a project translation memory and what is a main translation memory. Perhaps someone can enlighten me?

http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/Batch_Processing/Task_Descriptions.htm#Populate_project_translation_memories

[Bearbeitet am 2012-11-17 14:43 GMT]
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
How to import a reverse lang TM Nov 17, 2012

hrvatski wrote:

There are several ways to do this. Here are two options:

1. Export your EN-FR TM to tmx format. To do this, go to the Translation Memories window, open the TM and click "Export". Close your EN-FR TM.

Now open your FR-EN TM in the same window. Click "import" and select the new tmx you have just created.

2. You can reverse the language pair of your SDLTM using this OpenExchange app: http://www.translationzone.com/en/openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=101

and then export it to tmx in order to be able to import it into your second TM. Alternatively, you could use the two TMs simultaneously in a project.

IMO, the first option is simplest.

HTH,
Emma

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Difference between project and main TMs Nov 17, 2012

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

But I do not understand what is a project translation memory and what is a main translation memory. Perhaps someone can enlighten me?

Think of a project TM as a sub-folder of the main TM. It is populated and updated for one specific project and is only associated with that project.

Personally, I don't use project TMs at all. I prefer saving translation segments straight into my main TM. This is default behaviour when you create a project with Studio Freelance versions.

If you want to use a project TM, select this option when you are creating a project. This means that when the project batch tasks are run, a project TM will be created and populated with any (minimum) matches from the main TM, and as you translate, new segments will be sent to the project TM.

There are 2 advantages: if your main TM is very big, you will save time when look-up and concordance is performed because only the project TM will be consulted. Secondly, you won't populate your main TM with segments that may be changed later.
The disadvantage is that some users "lose" their translated units because they don't find them in the main TM. The main TM is only updated when you run "finalise" or "update main TM" from batch tasks.

Hope that clarifies things a bit, Heinrich?

Giunia Totaro
Giunia Totaro  Identity Verified
French to Italian
+ ...
Exporting (and reversing) a TM Nov 17, 2012

a) activate TM from Studio

b) export it in .tmx (File >Export)

c) import the .tmx file (previously exported) in a new TM created for the purpose

For exporting see:
http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/Ref/A-G/Export_Wizard.htm
... See more
a) activate TM from Studio

b) export it in .tmx (File >Export)

c) import the .tmx file (previously exported) in a new TM created for the purpose

For exporting see:
http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/Ref/A-G/Export_Wizard.htm

For importing see:
http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/Ref/H-N/Import_Wizard.htm

For the whole process see also:
http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/TM_View/TM_Data/Importing_Exporting_TM_Data/O_ImExpTM.htm

and:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/37176-a_revelation_about_trados_tm_how_to_reverse_tm_direction.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/213197-how_to_revert_language_pairs_in_sdltm_fe_ru_en_to_en_ru.html

http://blog.sdl.com/community/blog/details/8667/sdltmreverselangs-reverse-tm-language-pairs-fast-and-easily
Collapse

Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
Emma Nov 17, 2012

Actually I prefer using the project TM so that my translation doesn't end up in the main TM until I have completely finished. This way, I can double check later any term, phrase or even sentence in the main TM and be sure that it was there before and not something I added while in the process. This is particularly useful to me when I receive a TM from a client. This way I can always be sure I have not contaminated it until finished and rechecked.

Eileen

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
@ Eileen Nov 17, 2012

Yep, good point. Project TMs certainly have their advantages. I add field values and keep an eye on the date when I check a segment in a main TM, but your method is probably "best practice".
Emma

hrvatski (X)
Croatian to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
? Nov 18, 2012

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

hrvatski wrote:

There are several ways to do this. Here are two options:

1. Export your EN-FR TM to tmx format. To do this, go to the Translation Memories window, open the TM and click "Export". Close your EN-FR TM.

Now open your FR-EN TM in the same window. Click "import" and select the new tmx you have just created.

2. You can reverse the language pair of your SDLTM using this OpenExchange app: http://www.translationzone.com/en/openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=101

and then export it to tmx in order to be able to import it into your second TM. Alternatively, you could use the two TMs simultaneously in a project.

IMO, the first option is simplest.

HTH,
Emma

Thank you Emma.
I knew it with a new empty TM. But the TM FR-EN is not empty, and the pairs are reverse. So, it does not work.
When selecting "import", the new translation will be only added ? I ask that, because I am afraid this operation erase the existing translations in the TM?

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Are you sure it doesn't work? Nov 18, 2012

hrvatski wrote:

But the TM FR-EN is not empty, and the pairs are reverse. So, it does not work.

Did you try what I suggested in option 1? I think it should work.
You should be able to open your FR-EN TM and import the EN-FR tmx into it. (As detailed in step 2, option 1 above). The language direction doesn't matter in tmx formats. It only matters in the SDLTM.

When selecting "import", the new translation will be only added ? I ask that, because I am afraid this operation erase the existing translations in the TM?

Existing units won't be deleted.

Just in case, it's always a good idea to perform these operations on a copy of your TM. If it doesn't work, or something unexpected happens, you can just go back to your original TM.

Giunia Totaro
Giunia Totaro  Identity Verified
French to Italian
+ ...
You don't have to overwrite your existing TM Nov 18, 2012

Just create a new one and import both (the old one and the newly created one).

hrvatski (X)
Croatian to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK Nov 18, 2012

Yes, by this way, it works.
Export the two TM -> TMX, then create a new one FR-EN TM, and import both.

Thank you everyone! )

hrvatski (X)
Croatian to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
? Nov 19, 2012

For test, I tried with a very small TM EN FR, which contains 53 segments. There no "jump number" (1,2,3...) in this TM.
After importing, there are only 50 segments in the new TM ?
Please, may you tell me the reason?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Half an answer... Nov 19, 2012

hrvatski wrote:

For test, I tried with a very small TM EN FR, which contains 53 segments. There no "jump number" (1,2,3...) in this TM.
After importing, there are only 50 segments in the new TM ?
Please, may you tell me the reason?

Hi,

I don't know what you mean by "jump number" so I can't answer this part, but if you only see 50 segments it's probably because you're only looking at the first page.

Regards

Paul

hrvatski (X)
Croatian to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Display Nov 20, 2012

I checked. That is not a problem with the display.
A "Jump number" is for example "1,4" (without segment ID 3) in the TM.

[Modifié le 2012-11-20 09:58 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I still don't really understand... Nov 20, 2012

hrvatski wrote:

I checked. That is not a problem with the display.
A "Jump number" is for example "1,4" (without segment ID 3) in the TM.

[Modifié le 2012-11-20 09:58 GMT]

... but if you mean number only segments so for example something like this:

Then when you translate these only 1,1 will be added to the TM because all the rest will be recognised and found as 100% matches without actually having to have them in the TM as separate entries.

Regards

Paul

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Maintenance of translation memories

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »