Experiences with Trados Starter Edition?
Thread poster: Marjolein Snippe

Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:40
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Nov 19, 2012

Does anyone have experience with SDL Trados Starter Edition?
I use Wordfast and would like to continue to do so, but I regularly receive requests or projects using file types Wordfast can't handle. There is usually a way around this, but rather than asking the client to convert the files into TTX files, I would like to be able to do this myself. (I think the most recent version of Wordfast accepts Xliff files but no ITD files - if it does, I'd love to know what to do!)
The Starter edition seems to be a relatively affordable way of doing this - however, before buying one piece of software only to facilitate the use of another one, I would like to be confident this solution works.
Thanks in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Cartrad
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Limitation Nov 19, 2012

Hello Marjolein

I was interested in buying Trados studio 2011 starter edition but I found that it has some limitations....the most important (for me) is that is not able to open big projects: more than 5000 TU i suppose....

It's godd for a beginner translator I suppose...

Regards

Sara

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi Marjolein Nov 19, 2012

Please check the existing threads in this forum - there are several on this topic.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Starter can't convert to TTX Nov 19, 2012

Marjolein Snippe wrote:
Rather than asking the client to convert the files into TTX files, I would like to be able to do this myself. ... The Starter edition seems to be a relatively affordable way of doing this...

As far as I know, the Starter edition of Trados can't be used to convert various formats into TTX. TTX is a rather old format, and the latest versions of Trados can only handle it as an input format and not as an intermediary format (which is what your clients want, I suspect).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Experiences with Trados Starter Edition?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search