Studio 2011: how to add XML FirstSpirit file definition?
Thread poster: Natalie

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:25
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Nov 19, 2012

Hi all, I have a few XML files from the client, and cannot save target files due to the following error:

Failed to save target content: Cannot find file type definition with id XML FirstSpirit

Any help will be appreciated.
Natalia

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
SDLXLIFF or XML? Nov 19, 2012

Hi Natalie,

Was the file you were provided already converted to SDLXLIFF or were you provided with the XML and a filetype?

The message sounds as though Studio can't locate the filetype that is needed to recreate the XML from the SDLXLIFF.

Regards

Paul

Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Paul Nov 20, 2012

I received both: XML and SDLXLIFF.

I used SDLXLIFFs for translation and sent them to the client, but the client asked to send them also the ready XMLs. As I received the abovementioned error, I tried to re-translate the files from scratch (i.e. from XML). However, in this case I received exactly the same error, hence my request for help...

Thank you,
Natalia

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Filetypes for XML Nov 20, 2012

Hi Natalie,

I would expect to see this error when you tried to save target from the original sdlxliff unless you were also provided with the FirstSpirit filetype... but not if you created the sdlxliff yourself. Did you create a filetype for the xml so you could translate it and how do you know you would be extracting the same text for translation as the text inside the supplied sdlxliff?

What I don't understand is how you get this error when you start off with the xml file and create your own sdlxliff. Did you use a Project perhaps and add the xml file to the same Project as the one containing the sdlxliff? Even like this it should not be looking for an existing filetype.

Does your client have this filetype so they can send it to you?

I'm not sure what to suggest here... although I can take a look at your setup if you like? If you drop me an email we can arrange this today... first thing preferably.

Regards

Paul

Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
Answers Nov 20, 2012

Hi Paul,

SDL Support wrote:
Did you create a filetype for the xml so you could translate it and how do you know you would be extracting the same text for translation as the text inside the supplied sdlxliff?

I haven't created any special filetype; I have checked the existing filetypes for XML, and there are five of them. I have no idea how the FirstSpirit type is different from them and how to create a new filetype in this case.

What I don't understand is how you get this error when you start off with the xml file and create your own sdlxliff. Did you use a Project perhaps and add the xml file to the same Project as the one containing the sdlxliff? Even like this it should not be looking for an existing filetype.

I have tried all possible ways: adding files to the existing project, creating a new project, and opening files for translation without creating a project.

Does your client have this filetype so they can send it to you?

I have asked them and am waiting for the response.

Natalia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011: how to add XML FirstSpirit file definition?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search