Oksana Kondakova  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:17
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Nov 22, 2012

Hey guys,

I want to upgrade from Windows 7 to 8 version on my existing laptop with both Studios (9 and 11) and MemoQ 5 and 6 installed on it. I wonder if anybody had done that and if Windows 8 just "caught up" your existing CATs. Did it work or did you have to install them again or apply licences again?

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 23:17
English to Czech
+ ...
No personal experience, but... Nov 22, 2012

Hi Oksana,
I have no personal experience (I plan to stick to Win7 for as long as possible), but it is good practice to install a clean OS on a clean machine.

Therefore, I would return all of my licenses, back up all documents, install the OS on a clean machine and then install all tools from scratch. That's definitely safer.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Don't forget... Nov 22, 2012

... if you have upgraded from 2009 to 2011 instead of purchasing a new and separate license then you will probably lose 2009 when you do this. If you completely rebuild, or move computers, you will lose it for sure... if you only upgrade from W7 to W8 I'm not sure what will happen... so potentially the upgrade may not lose the license unless you return it. If you return the 2009 license it will be gone forever.

Regards

Paul

Russian Federation
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! I will post an update on results Nov 22, 2012

Thanks for your comments!

Sure, I will create all the backups possible.

I have 2 different licences for Studios 2009 and 2011 as I need them both. I just wanted to be prepared to any unexpected issues from Windows side or SDL side. I mean - contacting SDL support and letting them know that I'm gonig to upgrade and so on, all that proccess with licences.

Okay, if nobody had done that before, I will be the first:)

Will post an update on results.

Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 05:17
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
I did upgrade Nov 22, 2012

Oksana Kondakova wrote:

Hey guys,

I want to upgrade from Windows 7 to 8 version on my existing laptop with both Studios (9 and 11) and MemoQ 5 and 6 installed on it. I wonder if anybody had done that and if Windows 8 just "caught up" your existing CATs. Did it work or did you have to install them again or apply licences again?

Hi Oksana,

I did the upgrade a last week. I upgraded from Win 7 Premium to Win 8 Pro and had Trados 2007 Suite + Studio 2009 and Studio 2011 (Upgrade from 2009). Originally i had planned to install Win 8 on Win 7 without losing data. But since i knew something could go wrong in the process i returned the license for Studio 2011 before going for it.

As i expected, something went wrong and i ended up with a clean install (wiped out Win 7 and all data). Past that stage all the rest was pretty smooth. I can therefore confirm the following:
A) Studio 2011 works properly
B) If your Studio 2011 is an upgrade of 2009 you will lose it (apparently i lost it but Paul had already told me that in another post so i knew what would happen).
C) Trados 2007 works as well (I installed 2007 plus all patches and upgrades and it works although i kept being requested for the license which is local for my Trados. I solved that too.
D) MemoQ 6 works too (I have it as well).

All the rest is pretty normal. As to Win 8, past that new UI there isn't anything too shocking for anyone used to computers and things are easy to find. I do find it a little sluggier than 7. If you copy the Documents folder into the new document folder Studio will also inherit all the termbases and the TMs you had on Win 7, which will save you a lot of time.

Hope this helps.

Enrico

[Edited at 2012-11-22 11:42 GMT]

Russian Federation
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Enrico! Really helpfull! Nov 22, 2012

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:

Hi Oksana,

I did the upgrade a last week. I upgraded from Win 7 Premium to Win 8 Pro and had Trados 2007 Suite + Studio 2009 and Studio 2011 (Upgrade from 2009). Originally i had planned to install Win 8 on Win 7 without losing data. But since i knew something could go wrong in the process i returned the license for Studio 2011 before going for it.

As i expected, something went wrong and i ended up with a clean install (wiped out Win 7 and all data). Past that stage all the rest was pretty smooth. I can therefore confirm the following:
A) Studio 2011 works properly
B) If your Studio 2011 is an upgrade of 2009 you will lose it (apparently i lost it but Paul had already told me that in another post so i knew what would happen).
C) Trados 2007 works as well (I installed 2007 plus all patches and upgrades and it works although i kept being requested for the license which is local for my Trados. I solved that too.
D) MemoQ 6 works too (I have it as well).

All the rest is pretty normal. As to Win 8, past that new UI there isn't anything too shocking for anyone used to computers and things are easy to find. I do find it a little sluggier than 7. If you copy the Documents folder into the new document folder Studio will also inherit all the termbases and the TMs you had on Win 7, which will save you a lot of time.

Hope this helps.

Enrico

[Edited at 2012-11-22 11:42 GMT]

Thank you so much for this info, Enrico! It was really usefull for me and I hope for the others with the same question.

I've also asked this question from the Microsoft stuff and the answer was "we can guarantee nothing at this stage" to be short.
As I can see from your example and some other similar ones (from Microsoft forums) the "upgrade" variant does not work and everybody ends up with clean install.

Thor Henrik Braarvig  Identity Verified
Norway
German to Norwegian
+ ...
Did you get Studio 2009 to work with Windows 8? Jan 8, 2013

It would be interesting to hear if everything worked out!

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Win 7/8 Jan 8, 2013

Hi everyone,

Keep in mind that if you buy the Win 8 upgrade it'll just overwrite Win 7 which is a real pain as a lot of applications get ditched.

I've used the following workaround:

1) Type diskmgmt.msc under Run

2) Shrink your volume, provided you've got a large enough HDD - shouldn't be an issue nowadays, create a new partition, e.g. Windows 8, you also need to format the partition - you can also reassign the drive letters (C:, D:, E:, etc.)

3) Reinstall Win 7 on the second partition - clean install

4) Upgrade to Win 8 using the 2nd partition, you'll be prompted to which partition you want to update, after Install completes you'll get to choose (dual boot) which OS you want to start 7 or 8.

5) The upgrade also creates a Windows.old folder some 20GB, use Clean Disk to get rid of it.

6) Then migrate the applications from Win 7 to 8 at your own pace.

The only difference I've noticed so far is that a) 64-bit applications run really fast under Win 8 and b) booting up and exiting is even faster than under Win 7 (i7 - RAM 8GB) - only takes a little while to get familiar with the new interface if you're familiar with Windows, basically go to the bottom LH corner to switch between applications or to the RH corner to change settings. In the Workspace, once you've configured display settings, etc. you'll find the familiar ribbon settings as in Word 2007.

Last trick, if you've got a DSL link, shut down your computer when switching between OS's (7/8), just rebooting seems to create an IP address conflict.

Bernard

[Edited at 2013-01-08 21:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-01-08 21:40 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-01-08 21:41 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-01-08 21:47 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrading to Windows 8 from Windows 7 with SDL Studios 2009 and 2011 installed

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search