Creating a TM from a glossary in MS Word
Thread poster: Lucy Williams

Lucy Williams  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:18
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
Nov 24, 2012

I have some glossaries which are basically just lists in MS Word, is there a way to turn them into a TM in Trados 2011?

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 05:18
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Glossary -> termbase Nov 24, 2012

You better convert those lists into a termbase. First copy into Excel. From Excel it is possible to convert into Multiterm format.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
TM or TB? Nov 24, 2012

If you've got a list of words in Word, then I would have thought that a termbase would be better than a translation memory. If that single word appears in a sentence in a segment it will be recognised if it's in a termbase, but not in a TM.

So, if the list is in table, tab or comma limited format, simply paste it into Excel and then follow Jayne Fox's useful instructions here:
http://foxdocs.biz/BetweenTranslations/how-to-create-a-termbase-in-multiterm/

Make sure you also read her post here: http://foxdocs.biz/BetweenTranslations/the-quick-way-to-convert-glossaries-and-termbases-between-excel-and-multiterm/

If you really want to make the list into a TM, then I'd put each language into a separate Word document, align them, and import the result into your TM.

Edited to add: Snap, Heinrich!

[Edited at 2012-11-24 16:43 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Do not align Nov 25, 2012

I concur in that word lists are usually best used as termbases, but let's assume that this is one of the rare cases where it makes sense to make a TM out of a glossary.
In that case, this advice:
Emma Goldsmith wrote:

If you really want to make the list into a TM, then I'd put each language into a separate Word document, align them, and import the result into your TM.

Edited to add: Snap, Heinrich!

... is wrong. All it does is make the process more convoluted and error-prone. What you need to do is to make a TM directly out of the word list, which is pretty easy to do if it's in a table. Just copy-paste it into Excel or otherwise import it to Excel, and use one of the options I listed in this article.
There are other options on top of what I listed there, such as importing a tab-delimited or CSV file into Studio as a bilingual file and updating a TM with it, but any of the methods listed in the article should work fine. What you don't want to do is split a nicely organized table into two separate lists and then align them, only to find that the aligner splits up the segments wrong and you have to spend an hour pairing them up correctly - despite the fact that they were already paired up when you started.

Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:18
German to English
@ Emma G Nov 25, 2012

I know who I'm gonna call if I have a Trados problem! In fact, I may even invent one.. smiles.

Steve K.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 09:18
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Tab-delimited file options Nov 26, 2012

Tab-delimited file options are convenient to make a TM.
For Trados 2009/2011, open the Option>File type>Tab-delimited file>Set 1st and 2nd column as source and target terms, respectively (with confirmed target term option).
Save the Word file as Tab-delimited file [Plain txt > Unicode].
Translate as usual.
The resulting TM gives you what you want.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Thanks, Andras Nov 26, 2012

FarkasAndras wrote:

Just copy-paste it into Excel or otherwise import it to Excel, and use one of the options I listed in this article.
There are other options on top of what I listed there, such as importing a tab-delimited or CSV file into Studio as a bilingual file and updating a TM with it,

You're quite right, of course. Aligning is not the best way to create a TM from a .doc file if you've got it in table or tab-limited format.

Thank you Andras and Soonthon for putting me right on this one,

@Steve: Thanks for the compliment, Steve, but now you know that there are real alignment gurus around (so you know who to call in that case!).

@Lucy: Despite all the instructions you now have for creating a TM, I still think that a termbase is the way to go.

Enjoy your week everyone,
Emma

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating a TM from a glossary in MS Word

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search