Thread poster: Selcuk Akyuz

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 19:59
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Nov 27, 2012

Possibly a silly question but is it possible to select a word in source (or target) segment and filter for it using a shortcut. Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V are shortcuts as well but there should be a single shortcut for it.

Thanks

Selcuk

[Edited at 2012-11-27 21:23 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

ErikAnderson3
Local time: 09:59
Do you mean concordance? Nov 27, 2012

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Possibly a silly question but is it possible to select a word in source (or target) segment and filter for it using a shortcut. Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V are shortcuts as well but there should be a single shortcut for it.

Thanks

Selcuk

[Edited at 2012-11-27 21:23 GMT]

Hello Selcuk --

I don't quite understand what feature you're looking for. If by "filter for [a term]" you mean "look up that term in Concordance", just select a word or phrase in either the source or target segment and hit F3. (If that doesn't work on your machine, your keyboard shortcuts might be set up differently -- click ToolsOptionsKeyboard Shortcuts, scroll down to Concordance Search, and see what your Studio installation is configured for.)

Hope that helps,

-- Erik Anderson

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:59
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi Selcuk Nov 27, 2012

First of all, please specify the software version.

Also, it would be useful if you would be more specific about the problem itself: you description is rather unclear.

Thank you,
Natalia

Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL Trados Studio 2009/2011 Nov 27, 2012

I thought all questions regarding Trados 2007 were already asked and answered several times and this forum is used for questions on SDL Trados Studio only.

So my question was for Studio 2009/2011 users.

I don't look for the concordance feature.

What I want is to select (highlight) a term either in the source or target segment and then press a shortcut (if any) which will display only the segments with that term.

I can write it in the filter box next to "containing", or simply copy a term (ctrl+c) then move to that box with cursor and paste it. But there should be a shortcut for it (like in DVX).

Hope my question is clear now for Studio users.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V is the only way AFAIK Nov 28, 2012

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

I can write it in the filter box next to "containing", or simply copy a term (ctrl+c) then move to that box with cursor and paste it. But there should be a shortcut for it (like in DVX).

Hope my question is clear now for Studio users.

Yes, your question is quite clear, and, no, there isn't a quicker way of doing it. You can jump to different windows using Ctrl+tab, but the "containing" filter isn't in the list.

A right click and "filter by" or something similar would be nice, I agree, although it would only save about one click.

You could suggest it in the SDL ideas page at http://ideas.sdl.com/
Emma

Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Emma Nov 28, 2012

It is unbelievable that such an important filter is used without a shortcut in Studio. I use it always in Deja Vu X, filtering terms both in source and/or target with shortcuts for quality checks.

Selcuk

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Not really unbelievable... Nov 28, 2012

Hi Selcuk,

The filter also uses regular expressions by default which you would not be able to pick up from the text in the document. So whilst it may be a nice to have to be able to select text and then have this added to the display filter it's definitely not anything I'd consider a major oversight. A nice enhancement maybe

Regards

Paul

Saghir Ahmed
Pakistan
Local time: 21:59
Member (2012)
English to Urdu
+ ...
Thanks for the Info Nov 28, 2012

Useful information

Adam Bojan  Identity Verified
Poland
Dutch to Polish
+ ...
use an ACT Nov 28, 2012

Hi Selcuk,
My solution to this nuisance is a little program called Auto Clicker Typer.
It records a series of clicks which then are played after pressing a shortcut.
So I select a word/phrase (or a regex written just in the current editor segment), and press my shortcut, in 0,5 s it makes all the cliks for the filter to be applied.
I hate using mouse (anti-RSI politics) and Studio makes you use it a lot, so this program and AutoHotkey are my solutions to the approach presented by Paul.

regards
Adam

[Edited at 2012-11-28 18:20 GMT]

Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for sharing Nov 28, 2012

Hi Adam,

I use AHK scripts widely and even create some simple ones. This program should work provided that Studio window is not resized during sessions.

Selcuk

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

filtering for a word in source segment

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search