Thread poster: Benjamin Hall

Benjamin Hall  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:17
French to English
+ ...
Nov 28, 2012

Hi there,

I would like to know how I can make auto-suggestions appear in Trados 2011.

For instance:

I type a line and the same line appears again later in the same document. Is there a way to avoid re-writing it again? Is there an option to select?

Thanks for your help.

Ben

Direct link Reply with quote

Luisa Fiorini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Autosuggest dictionary Nov 28, 2012

Hi Benjamin,

you should create an Autosuggest Dictionary that suggests segment fragments while you are typing. As far as I know these dictionaries can only be creted with with the Professional or Freelance Plus Edition of SDL Trados Studio 2011. With the Freelance Edition you can use AutoSuggest dictionaries, but you can only create them within the first 30 days after installation of the product. I don't know if the demo version will allow you to create an Autosuggest Dictionary. However, you can check under Tools if the option Generate AutoSuggest Dictionary is greyed or active.

[Modificato alle 2012-11-28 16:33 GMT]

[Modificato alle 2012-11-28 16:33 GMT]

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re Nov 28, 2012

Thanks for your help. The auto-suggest option was already on.

I still don't understand something:

Source text : Translation:

Red cat Chat rouge
Blue cat Chat bleu
Yellow cat Chat jaune

Red cat How can I have "Chat rouge" to appear automatically?

Based not on a translation memory on a file but simply based on what I already translated in this very same file.

Is there an option to suggest 100% matches or even 90% matches from lines translated in the same text?

Thanks!!

Luisa Fiorini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
you have to create it Nov 28, 2012

If the option Generate AutoSuggest Dictionary is on, you have to click on it and create your autosuggest dictionary using a TM. The TM input files can be .sdltm, .tmx or tmx.gz. For a meaningful phrase extraction the TM you will use should contain at least 25.000 units.

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
re Nov 28, 2012

Ok thanks for your help!

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:17
French to English
+ ...
Not autosuggest Nov 28, 2012

This isn't to do with the autosuggest function; it'll be related to your TM/autopropagation settings. In order for matches to be suggested, the data needs to be saved to your TM.

The keyboard shortcut for committing a segment to memory is Ctrl+Enter, and once the segment is in the memory a green tick should appear in the central column. When the segment is in the memory, it will be suggested automatically when you get to the next instance of that segment, or will be auto-propagated if you have the settings set the right way.

It's complex software and you might benefit from reading some kind of quick-start guide.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Translation memory look-up Nov 28, 2012

I don't think you talking about autosuggest at all, but rather automatic look-up in your TM (translation memory) as you translate a file.

If you've translated:
Red cat > Chat rouge
And then you come across:
Blue cat

you will see that there is a 50% similarity (i.e. one out of the two words match the previous segment).

So, if you have set your TM matches to 50%, then you should be offered the first segment in the Translation Results window.

Of course, it wouldn't be wise to set matches to 50% because you'll get too many useless matches. I recommend setting it to 70%.

HTH,
Emma

Edited to add: Snap, Angela!

[Edited at 2012-11-28 17:35 GMT]

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
re Nov 28, 2012

Yes it makes more sense now, I wasn't talking about autosuggest it seems!

Thanks I know how to do it now

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
re Nov 28, 2012

Last question:

Where can I set matches at 70% please?

Cheers,

Ben

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2011 (demo) : how to auto-suggest text

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search