Windows 7 + Trados 2007 + Office 2010 = ?
Thread poster: Therese Matt (X)
Therese Matt (X)
Therese Matt (X)  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Nov 28, 2012

Dear all,

I know this has been discussed before, but some time ago... I have a new computer with Windows 7 and bought Office 2010 Home & Student to it - will this work with Trados 2007, or can I expect problems?

Thanks in advance,

Therese

Maksim Mirzabaev
Maksim Mirzabaev
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:07
English to Russian
+ ...
Possible problems with Win 7 Home Edition and Trados 7 Nov 28, 2012

Hello Therese,

You might come across with some troubles when installing Trados 7 once an OS you operate is Windows 7 Home Edition. For some reason Trados 7 refuses to run smoothly with this particular OS. Well, actually, I can't install it at all. Although Trados 2009/2011 and Passolo work seamlessly.

My guess is that Trados 7 and Win 7 Home Edition are not compatible with each other.

This is what I've experienced so far.

Hope this helps.
... See more
Hello Therese,

You might come across with some troubles when installing Trados 7 once an OS you operate is Windows 7 Home Edition. For some reason Trados 7 refuses to run smoothly with this particular OS. Well, actually, I can't install it at all. Although Trados 2009/2011 and Passolo work seamlessly.

My guess is that Trados 7 and Win 7 Home Edition are not compatible with each other.

This is what I've experienced so far.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Maksym
Collapse

Therese Matt (X)
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What about... Nov 28, 2012

Hi Maksym,

Apparently it's Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, is that any better?

Maksim Mirzabaev
Maksim Mirzabaev
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:07
English to Russian
+ ...
You won't know for sure till you try it out Nov 28, 2012

Unfortunately, I cannot assure you on this, but I suspect any "Home-related" OS might be somewhat troublesome with CAT-tools.

Yet again, I hope I'm wrong and, therefore, you will not encounter any hassle with your current OS version and software you're about to install.

Let us see what others have to say about this issue.

I have another laptop with Win 7 Professional and Trados 7 gets on with it pretty well.

PS: Office 2010 works fine with give
... See more
Unfortunately, I cannot assure you on this, but I suspect any "Home-related" OS might be somewhat troublesome with CAT-tools.

Yet again, I hope I'm wrong and, therefore, you will not encounter any hassle with your current OS version and software you're about to install.

Let us see what others have to say about this issue.

I have another laptop with Win 7 Professional and Trados 7 gets on with it pretty well.

PS: Office 2010 works fine with given operating system in my case.
Collapse

Siarhei Ananin
Siarhei Ananin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:07
English to Russian
Word 2010 -> Word 2007 Nov 28, 2012

Therese Mattjus wrote:

Hi Maksym,
Apparently it's Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, is that any better?

Dear Therese,

I am working in the same environment as you, except my Word is 2007 - no problems.
Some problems arise for Word 2010 only.

Marek Buchtel
Marek Buchtel  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 20:07
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Home & Student Nov 28, 2012

Therese Mattjus wrote:

..and bought Office 2010 Home & Student to it...

Therese

Therese,

You know this version is "for non-commercial use" only, and you thus must not use it for business, don't you?

I'm running exactly this combination - W7 + Office 2010 (Office Home and Business ) + Trados 2007 (in addition to Studio), and the only problem is with the on-the-fly spelling checker, which does not work 100% correctly (batch spelling checker works OK).

[Upraveno: 2012-11-28 20:57 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Office 32 bit Nov 29, 2012

The only thing you have to check is that Office must be 32 bit, not 64, for Trados to work.

Win 7 64 bit is fine.

IrimiConsulting
IrimiConsulting  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2010)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Works fine Nov 29, 2012

I have the following setup:
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Office 2010 Small Business 32-bit

I run Trados 2007 with few problems. The only problem is that when I start Word 2010, I need to manually add the Trados template (via File > Options > Add-ins) to enable the Trados menu and commands; once this has been done I don't need to do it again in the current Word session.

I generally try to use TagEditor instead of Word, so this is really a minor niggle.

Therese Matt (X)
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm lost Nov 29, 2012

Well, I'm not sure what to do now. Wish I had looked this up before I ordered the PC...

I don't know if I got Office 32 bit or 64 bit.

Maybe I should send back everything and start over?

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Which version? Nov 29, 2012

Therese Mattjus wrote:

I don't know if I got Office 32 bit or 64 bit.

Open Word.
Go to the File tab.
Click help.
In the right-hand column, under "About Microsoft Word" you'll see whether it's 32 or 64 bit.

ErikAnderson3
ErikAnderson3
Local time: 12:07
Off-by-one error introduced by change in underlying Windows libraries Nov 29, 2012

Marek Buchtel wrote:

... the only problem is with the on-the-fly spelling checker, which does not work 100% correctly (batch spelling checker works OK).

[Upraveno: 2012-11-28 20:57 GMT]

Marek, I'm curious --

One thing I've noticed for almost a year now, starting when I was still on XP (but after a certain Windows Update) and continuing now that I'm on Win 7, is that the on-the-fly spell-checker in TagEditor hiccups on any word contained in tags like <tag>this</tag>, where the spell-checker only looks at everything minus the last letter. It appears that one of the underlying Windows libraries changed, and the math for word selection now has an off-by-one error (rather common in all kinds of code environments).

Is that what you're seeing?

Cheers,

-- Erik Anderson

Marek Buchtel
Marek Buchtel  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Yes, that's it Nov 29, 2012

ErikAnderson3 wrote:

Marek, I'm curious --

One thing I've noticed for almost a year now, starting when I was still on XP (but after a certain Windows Update) and continuing now that I'm on Win 7, is that the on-the-fly spell-checker in TagEditor hiccups on any word contained in tags like this, where the spell-checker only looks at everything minus the last letter. It appears that one of the underlying Windows libraries changed, and the math for word selection now has an off-by-one error (rather common in all kinds of code environments).

Is that what you're seeing?

Cheers,

-- Erik Anderson

Hello Erik,

Yes, this is exactly what I meant. It's annoying but I understand there's little we can do about it.

Marek

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows 7 + Trados 2007 + Office 2010 = ?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »