Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:41
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Nov 29, 2012

G'day everyone

In my SDLXLIFF file, when opened in Trados 2009, some source text cells use red text. My client wants the translation to be in red text too. Unfortunately, some of the existing target text (since I'm not the first translator to work on this file) is black. How do I get it to be red? Is there a format painting function in Trados 2009 similar to the function in MS Word, whereby I can apply the formatting from one character on another one? I *don't* mean the thing called "format painting" from SDLX.

Alternatively: how can I copy text in the edit window so that the font colour is also copied? I find that if I copy red text from somewhere and paste it inside a chunk of black text (even in the same segment), the pasted text ends up black, like the surrounding text (arrgghhh!).

Also, if an entire cell's text is red, but there are placeables (of the "cf" type, in my case), and I put my cursor directly after a placeable and start typing, the text that I type is black (not red, like everything else in the cell). This is particularly problematic if a placeable occurs at the very end of a segment and I need to type something extra -- it then ends up as being black, which is not what the client wants.

Thanks
Samuel

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Not format paint, but tags Nov 29, 2012

For a start, what you see in the Editor window of Studio isn't necessarily what you'll see in the target file. So if your target segment is black and not red, that may not be a problem.

Second, have all the tags been copied from source to target in exactly the same order? If so, the target font must be the same colour as the source.

Different ways of copying tags from source to target:

Copy all source to target (use the shortcut - I use Ctrl+alt+P, but I'm pretty sure I've customised it, sorry)

Highlight the text you want to change in the target and then click ctrl+left mouse button in the exact place in the source segment where you want to copy the style (so this will automatically include the surrounding tags).

Ctrl+comma (select individual tag from drop-down list)

Does that help?
Emma

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Emma Nov 29, 2012

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
For a start, what you see in the Editor window of Studio isn't necessarily what you'll see in the target file. So if your target segment is black and not red, that may not be a problem.

I realise that, but my client's instructions relate to the SDLXLIFF file. My client wants red text in the source column to be red in the target column.

Second, have all the tags been copied from source to target in exactly the same order? If so, the target font must be the same colour as the source.

Yes. Even if I copy source to target (if the entire source text is red, plus tags), and I then put my cursor directly after a tag and I start typing, the typed text is black, not red. If I put my cursor after some red text and then start typing, then the typed text is red. If a tag is at the very end of the segment, I end up with black text after that tag, in other words.

Highlight the text you want to change in the target and then click ctrl+left mouse button in the exact place in the source segment where you want to copy the style (so this will automatically include the surrounding tags).

This doesn't work for me, I'm afraid.

I can fix the black text issue in the source code of the SDLXLIFF file by duplicating a G tag from elsewhere in the segment, but I was hoping for methods that do not involve hacking the SDLXLIFF file.

Thanks
Samuel

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Can you share the file? Nov 29, 2012

Hi Samuel,

I guess, after our previous correspondence on how to handle tags in Studio, that you have worked correctly with the tags for this file. So it sounds very odd to me. If you can share the file I'd be happy to take a look at it?

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Paul Nov 29, 2012

SDL Support wrote:
It sounds very odd to me. If you can share the file I'd be happy to take a look at it?

Sorry, no, I can't.

I can tell you that I don't have the original document so I have no idea what it looks like, and no idea what the font colouring in the original document is.

[Edited at 2012-11-29 12:31 GMT]

United Kingdom
English
ok... Nov 29, 2012

... so a couple of things.

First, if it's excel then you might be able to get the source document by using File -> Save as source. The sdlxliff saves the code to recreate the file inside it (by default) so this might be suitable as long as you have the same version of Studio as the creator of the sdlxliff (or at least the same version of the filetype).

Next... can you confirm that you are showing all the tags in the sdlxliff as we discussed before? If you are then you may see the tags you need to copy across from the source to effect the target text in the same way.

Regards

Paul

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Paul Nov 29, 2012

SDL Support wrote:
Next... can you confirm that you are showing all the tags in the sdlxliff as we discussed before?

I've had another look and enabled view of all tags, thanks.

I guess I just have to be satisfied that if I need to add text after the final tag that needs to be formatted like the first text in the segment, then I have to figure out which tag from near the start of the segment is responsible for that formatting, and then duplicate that tag to the end of the segment and type my text inside it.

I suspect the translator whose file I got didn't have view of all tags enabled.

United Kingdom
English
Use the TagID... Nov 29, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

I guess I just have to be satisfied that if I need to add text after the final tag that needs to be formatted like the first text in the segment, then I have to figure out which tag from near the start of the segment is responsible for that formatting, and then duplicate that tag to the end of the segment and type my text inside it.

... and this may be easier to distinguish between them. The full tag allows you to see what's in the tag but sometimes this can be very long and obtrusive. TagID as explained before is often simpler.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I format paint in Trados 2009?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search