Studio 2011 - Is it possible to filter segments based on text formatting?
Thread poster: pcs_MCIL

pcs_MCIL  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 1, 2012

I have this huge document that contains text in RED and BLACK.
The text in red should not be translated - is there a way I can have Studio copy the source to target when the source is entirely in red?

On a side note, what shortcut can I use to insert the concordance search result in the target segment?
For example the 1st or the 2nd result?

Direct link Reply with quote

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:56
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
hide the red text Dec 1, 2012

Hi Paola,

I'm not sure about Studio but if it's the same as memoQ and allows you to ignore hidden text upon import then what you would need to do is:

make all of the red text hidden, import and translate, export and unhide it again.

Michael

English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hidden text still shown in Word Dec 2, 2012

Hello Michael,

thanky ou for your reply.
I opened the original document in Word 2007, with the replace function, I replaced all of the unhidden red text with red hidden text, but it is still displayed in Word, and thus imported into Studio.

What I am missing? All of the text is contained within a Word table.

[Edited at 2012-12-02 00:39 GMT]

ErikAnderson3
Local time: 23:56
Check your file filter settings. Dec 2, 2012

Studio's file filter for MS Word 2007 and later (*.docx file format) includes an option labeled Extract hidden text for translation. To check and/or edit your file filter settings, open the project you're working on, and open Project Settings. Click File Types, and then on the left, click on MS Word 2007-2010. Click Common, and then make sure that Extract hidden text for translation is not selected.

If you're using a *.doc file from MS Word 2003 or earlier, try saving it as a *.docx file from within Word. Alternately, within the document, define a named style for red hidden text. Save the document and close Word. Then, in Studio, open Project Settings and then the file filter for MS Word 2000-2003, click Styles, then add that style name under Styles to be converted into inline tags if that red hidden text appears in the middle of any segments, or add that style name under Styles to be converted into structure tags if that red hidden text only appears as whole segments.

Hope this helps,

-- Erik Anderson

English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Already unselected Dec 2, 2012

Hello Erik,

and thank you for your reply.
The option you described is already unchecked.

From what I gather, once I set in Word that the red file has the attribute hidden, it should no longer be displayed in Word, except if I click on the paragraph button.
However the red text in Word is still there. I am sure that red text was turned to hidden since if I select it and go under Font, the checkbox "hidden" is checked, while for black text it is not.

I belive that Trados importing red text is just a consequence of this odd behaviour of Word 2007.
I was wondering if there is a special setting to hide text in tables, since my document is written within a table in Ms Word.

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:56
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hi Paola, Dec 2, 2012

I just created a new Word document, made a table, added some red text in it, and made it hidden:

Wordbook.nl

It seems to work for me.

Michael

English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Any other setting I should check? Dec 3, 2012

Hi Michael,

thanks a lot for your input. After failing at it, I hit the Word button > Option > View > Show always hidden text (unchecked this item) and the text disappeared from Word.

After doing so, I imported the file in SDL Studio for translation and the red text was no longer displayed.

The bad thing is that by the time I figured this out, I already completed the translation of the red-text-version, and the new ones has only 68% of the file translated compared to the old one.

I've learnt something new, but I'll use it another time.
Thank you all for your help!

Nasr Ahmed  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 09:56
English to Arabic
+ ...
Similar urgent problem Jun 8, 2014

Hello everyone,

Could anybody here help me, please? I usually receive several large files from a client with some parts of the text highlighted. The highlighted text should not be translated.

Is there a way that makes Trados Studio 2011 show these highlights, hence I can recognize them easily and leave them untranslated without checking the original file? Meanwhile, is it possible to hide the highlighted text from the source segments?

I hope this is clear.

Thank you very much in advance for your help and support.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:56
English
Depends on the source format? Jun 9, 2014

Hi,

If it's MSWord then this is simple. Just search for all the highlighted text in MSWord and change it to hidden text. Then when you open it in Studio this text will not be available for translation. There is an explanation here on how to do that if you review these two articles.

This one, http://wp.me/p2xDjK-s3 , will explain how to search and replace with hidden text.

This one, http://wp.me/p2xDjK-br , will explain how to search and replace with colours.

Hopefully you can figure out what to do from these... if your file is indeed a word document?

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 - Is it possible to filter segments based on text formatting?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €415 / $495
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 You will also receive FREE access to our getting started eLearning program!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search