Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:08
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Dec 5, 2012

G'day everyone

A client sent me two files, namely an xliff.wsxz file and an xliff.zip file. The zip file is a zip file that contains only an xliff file. The wsxz file is a zip file that contains a number of file, including a tmx file and two sdlxliff files. The client says that these files should be dealt with using Trados 2009. Can anyone please tell me how? Neither of the file have icons that look like Trados icons.

Thanks
Samuel

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
It's a package... Dec 5, 2012

.... just use Open package and select the wsxz. This will open a wizard that creates a project with the files. You then switch to the files view for the project and double click on the files to open them for translation. Once you're done you create a return package by right clicking on the project name and selecting create return package.

Regards

Paul

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can't see the package... Dec 5, 2012

SDL Support wrote:
.... just use Open Package and select the wsxz.

The menu item "Open Package" lets me select sdlppx, sdlrpx and stppk files. There is no filter for "All files", so I can't select the wsxz file. Must I rename or convert the wsxz file first?

Thanks
Samuel

United Kingdom
English
Not sure... Dec 5, 2012

Hi Samuel,

I am using 2011, so can't double check what you see, but this is what I would expect:

Certainly these WorldServer packages were supported in 2009 as well.

Regards

Paul

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Doesn't seem like it... Dec 5, 2012

SDL Support wrote:
I am using 2011, so can't double check what you see, but this is what I would expect... Certainly these WorldServer packages were supported in 2009 as well.

This is what I see:

Strange, the client said specifically "opened on SDL Trados Studio 2009". Perhaps the client doesn't know that he's using 2011? Perhaps there is some kind of update that I had missed?

Samuel

United Kingdom
English
Maybe this is the reason... Dec 5, 2012

.... see http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=3077&source=article&c=12&cid=23

Looks like we introduced this with 2009 SP2 9.1.0.1264. What version are you running? I know you don't want to go to 2011 but there is no reason to not upgrade 2009 to the latest build.

Regards

Paul

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ah, yes Dec 5, 2012

SDL Support wrote:
Looks like we introduced this with 2009 SP2 9.1.0.1264. What version are you running?

Aah, yes, I'm using SP1. I'll upgrade to SP2, then.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can't I just unzip it and translate it? Dec 5, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:
SDL Support wrote:
Looks like we introduced this with 2009 SP2 9.1.0.1264. What version are you running?

The translatable content seems to be the sdlxliff files. Can't I just translate them and rezip the folder? Or does translating the package also update the TMX file in it?

Added: After having installed SP2, I tried to open the package again, but it complained about the lack of an xliff file, and when I tried to copy the xliff file that the lcient had sent separately into the wsxz file, it complained about corrupted source files, so I'm afraid the client will have to send me TTX files like he used to before, if he wants to have the work done.

I'm not sure if translating the sdlxliff files is a valid thing to do because the wsxz file itself appears to be broken, so I can't tell if any error messages I get from trying to open the hacked version in Trados is due to the hack or not.

[Edited at 2012-12-05 21:41 GMT]

United Kingdom
English
Why not SP3? Dec 5, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

SDL Support wrote:

You may as well get to the latest build.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh, there is SP3 as well? Dec 5, 2012

SDL Support wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
SDL Support wrote:

You may as well get to the latest build.

I just followed the instructions in the KB you linked to... there was no mention of SP3 on it. I'll upgrade again.

Oh, before I do, can you confirm that SDLTradosStudio2009_SP3_2229.exe is the latest file to download?

[Edited at 2012-12-05 21:54 GMT]

United Kingdom
English
Upgrade to SP3 Dec 5, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

The translatable content seems to be the sdlxliff files. Can't I just translate them and rezip the folder? Or does translating the package also update the TMX file in it?

Added: After having installed SP2, I tried to open the package again, but it complained about the lack of an xliff file, and when I tried to copy the xliff file that the lcient had sent separately into the wsxz file, it complained about corrupted source files, so I'm afraid the client will have to send me TTX files like he used to before, if he wants to have the work done.

I'm not sure if translating the sdlxliff files is a valid thing to do because the wsxz file itself appears to be broken, so I can't tell if any error messages I get from trying to open the hacked version in Trados is due to the hack or not.

[Edited at 2012-12-05 21:41 GMT]

SP3 would be worth trying as there have also been fixes in the cumulative updates to SP2, and also SP3. You are quite a way behind.

United Kingdom
English
See this KB Dec 5, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

I just followed the instructions in the KB you linked to... there was no mention of SP3 on it. I'll upgrade again.

Oh, before I do, can you confirm that SDLTradosStudio2009_SP3_2229.exe is the latest file to download?

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=3353&source=Article&c=12&cid=23

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 5, 2012

Thanks, got it (using Firefox, as Opera wouldn't load it).

Elis@bel
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Trying to open a xliff.wsxz with Studio 2015 Aug 4, 2016

Hi,

I'm trying to open a xliff.wsxz file in Studio 2015 as part of my SDL Certification, using the sample files provided by SDL, but I cannot open it and have no option to select that file type. Any recommendations, please?

Thanks,
Elisa

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Open it as a package Aug 5, 2016

WENCESLA wrote:
I'm trying to open a xliff.wsxz file in Studio 2015 as part of my SDL Certification, using the sample files provided by SDL, but I cannot open it and have no option to select that file type. Any recommendations, please?

How do you try to open it? You need to use the command "Open Package" as this is a package (a zipped container with SDLXLIFF files inside).

Walter

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to deal with wsxz files

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search