Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
buttons for switching off formatting
Thread poster: karen henry

karen henry  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:50
French to English
Dec 12, 2012

My buttons for switching off italic and bold formatting have disappeared from my tool bar in Trados Studio 2010. Has anyone else had this problem before?

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
What's the file format? Dec 12, 2012

Hi Karen,

The available buttons can depend on the ability of the underlying file to support the formatting you wish to apply. So what's available in the quick insert for Word won't necessarily be available for some other formats for example.

Regards

Paul

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
But I have an italic formatting button! Dec 12, 2012

SDL Support wrote:
The available buttons can depend on the ability of the underlying file to support the formatting you wish to apply. So what's available in the quick insert for Word won't necessarily be available for some other formats for example.

I used the italic button to format a word, but now cannot switch it off as the other buttons for switching off have disappeared!

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
file format Dec 12, 2012

Sorry, forgot to mention the file format which is a docx that has been converted from a pdf file.

Jonathan Fray
Brazil
Local time: 10:50
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I have also noticed that Dec 12, 2012

It seems like during the last update of Studio 2011 the buttons of force remove bold, italics and underline have been removed. There are only the buttons to apply bold, italics and underline. In my case its simple doc and docx files. Many times it is useful to remove a formatting in your target language.

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
I did wonder whether it was something like that! Dec 12, 2012

Jonathan Fray wrote:

It seems like during the last update of Studio 2011 the buttons of force remove bold, italics and underline have been removed. There are only the buttons to apply bold, italics and underline. In my case its simple doc and docx files. Many times it is useful to remove a formatting in your target language.

So what do we do now? I wondered whether there was a short-cut key that would do the trick. For the moment my whole document is in italics and I'll have to sort it out once I have it back in Words!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Maybe think about this a different way... Dec 16, 2012

... and keep this turned on so you can always see the tags:

This way you can step outside the tags to stop the formatting being applied. So for example:

Then type inbetween the tags and when the bold should be off just type outside the tags:

In many ways I think working with tags showing like this is better anyway... see this article if you're interested why : http://goo.gl/ZGZCf

In the meantime I'll feed this issue over to development.

Regards

Paul

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Tags Dec 17, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

In many ways I think working with tags showing like this is better anyway... see this article if you're interested why : http://goo.gl/ZGZCf

Paul

Thanks, I'll have a look at this when I have some spare time!

BaskaS
English to Polish
+ ...
I want a possibility of adding buttons to QuickInsert toolbar Dec 19, 2012

Hi Paul,

I've just found out why some buttons are now hidden:
Cumulative update 7 (released on 6 December 2012): Little used QuickInsert items have been moved off the toolbar for the file formats *.docx and *.pptx so users can assign more custom Quick Inserts to the toolbar buttons.

If you decided to hide those buttons, please give us a possibility of adding some of them back to the toolbar so that we can access them faster! Highlight colour, remove bold, italic WERE very useful and now it takes ages to click the "Select a Quick Insert Item from a list of those available" button, scroll down and click the required option. I guess this programme should help us work faster and not to get upset about wasting time on such silly things which were a great option until 6 December.

Kind regards,
Barbara

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Totally agree! Dec 19, 2012

BaskaS wrote:

I guess this programme should help us work faster and not to get upset about wasting time on such silly things which were a great option until 6 December.

Hear hear!

BaskaS wrote:

Select a Quick Insert Item from a list of those available" button, scroll down and click the required option

I'll try this in the mean time, thanks Barbara!

Jonathan Fray
Brazil
Local time: 10:50
Portuguese to English
+ ...
The least amount of tags the better Dec 19, 2012

In my opinion translators do not like to see tags showing up in the middle of their translation and tags are always a bother. When working in Studio I would always leave the formatting tags switched off which made it much easier and cleaner to work in Studio (Very nice feature!). Now with these formatting buttons removed and Paul's suggestion of displaying the formatting tags makes your text filled with unnecessary and distracting tags, which in my opinion isn't very nice. This change in this specific cumulative updated I don't think was very smart as these buttons were very much used especially in translating PDF documents and working with poorly formatted texts which many times is the case!

Philip Rodriguez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
Having the same problem! Dec 28, 2012

I am having the same problem. I have the "Apply bold", "Apply italic", and "Apply underline" buttons, but I cannot undo the formatting. Displaying the formatting tags will do the job for now, but I hope that the undo buttons will soon be added again. I would really appreciate it.

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
I found some of them Dec 28, 2012

I have found that, beside the bold, italics, etc. there is a bar with a down arrow. If you drag the cursoer over it it says "Toolbar options", click here and most of the hidden formatting optiosn appear so you can just click on them.

However, what I used to use a lot, and now cannot find, is the different types of quotation marks. They seem to have disappeared altogether. Anyone have an answer to this?
Eileen

Svetlana Podkolzina  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Russian
+ ...
Format > Insert tag... Dec 28, 2012

I found those tags in Format > Insert tag...

Fiona Robson
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:50
Member (2005)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Really annoying, having buttons removed without warning Dec 30, 2012

I'm glad I found this thread. I've just spent ages of my valuable time, scratching my head, clicking here and there, wondering where those darned "remove formatting" buttons have gone. It seems that when I am finally getting used to this fiddly new system, along comes some new trick just to throw me. Why on EARTH would they remove those buttons - do the good folk at SDL assume all we need to do is create italics/bold etc, but never remove them? And what happens if I highlight things, can I not have the option to remove those highlights, or do I need to resort to re-typing those portions just to get rid of them? It's these little annoyances that make me consider giving up on the system altogether. Bring back old-style Trados (only one that works with docx files)

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

buttons for switching off formatting

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search