Creating unclean files in Trados Studio Freelance 2011 - help needed
Thread poster: Tom Skold

Tom Skold  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 17:49
English to Swedish
+ ...
Dec 15, 2012

Anyone who knows how to create an unclean file in Trados Studio Freelance 2011? I see that there are questions about this and explanations, but none that actually explains how you do it. I mean, in Trados there is a command for "Save target file" and "Save as" and so on, but I can't see anything about unclean files.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Direct link Reply with quote

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Post removed by poster

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
Trados 2007 Dec 15, 2012

You should have Trados 2007 in your package. This is the way how to produce bilingual Word or .ttx files.

Regards

A.

Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 2007? Dec 15, 2012

I don't know. I'll check. I have a Mac – of course! – so I have Trados on the Windows partition and have to restart and stuff. However, is that how an unclean file is defined? Bilingual? That is not how my client explained it. He sent me a target language file with tags and things as an example.

Thanks,

Tom

SofieM  Identity Verified
Italy
French to Danish
+ ...
Trados 2011 Dec 15, 2012

Hi Tom,
Every time the client asks me for a clean and unclean file I do like this:
Unclean file -> Save as
Clean file -> Save target as

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Best regards,
Anne Sofie

Maya Fourioti  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 18:49
Member (2010)
English
+ ...
Simple to follow Dec 15, 2012

In Trados Studio 2011 select FILE, then Export for external review.Follow the procedure and a new subfolder is going to be created within the initial folder.Open it.It will read EXTERNAL REVIEW.Click on it. It will show the target language .Click again.A word file will be there for you with the extendion .review.This is the unclean (bilingual) file for review.I hope I helped

Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A-ha. Dec 15, 2012

A-ha! Great! Thank you! Very helpful.

Regards,

Tom

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Bilingual file formats Dec 15, 2012

Tom Skold wrote:

Anyone who knows how to create an unclean file in Trados Studio Freelance 2011?

The unclean file in Studio 2011 is the .sdlxliff that you translate in the Editor. However, if an agency asks you for an unclean file, it's probably talking about the old bilingual Workbench format that Andrzej mentioned.

An easy way to produce a bilingual Workbench file from an .sdlxliff is to use the OpenExchange app called "SLDXLIFF to Legacy Converter". It's very easy to download from here:
http://www.translationzone.com/en/openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=194
and if you want step by step instructions, check out this blog post:
http://transtutorials.wordpress.com/2012/04/12/studio-to-trados-legacy-converter/

HTH,
Emma

Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 15, 2012

Great! No, my client sent me a monolingual file as an example of an unclean file so this is just what I need. I understood that the unclean file is the file I am working on in Trados, but I didn't know how to save it or export it that way.

Thanks a lot!

Tom

alpia  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2010)
German to Czech
+ ...
Great know how, thanks! Dec 16, 2012

Thank You Emma, You saved me MUCH time with "retranslating" it in TagEditor, which I did before...I have clients, which don´t want to get it in sdlxiff...just TTX. But I prefer to work in Trados Studio...so thats it, what matter: ) Many thanks for Your know how!

LinguaLab.net
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:49
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Thank you so much, Maya! Oct 3, 2014

Maya Fourioti wrote:

In Trados Studio 2011 select FILE, then Export for external review.Follow the procedure and a new subfolder is going to be created within the initial folder.Open it.It will read EXTERNAL REVIEW.Click on it. It will show the target language .Click again.A word file will be there for you with the extendion .review.This is the unclean (bilingual) file for review.I hope I helped

Thank you ever so much for this tip, Maya - who knew it was this easy?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating unclean files in Trados Studio Freelance 2011 - help needed

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search