Lots of error messages, Studio 2011 not working, arrghh
Thread poster: Pablo Dal Monte

Pablo Dal Monte
Local time: 00:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 18, 2012

Please help, having a major meltdown

I keep getting several error messages when trying to open ANY of the files i've been working on.

First one was something around the linse of "Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I tried reindexing the memory database and that did not work. Also SDL studio would not close,
So I tried System Restore next, several different instances (dates) failed to "complete succesfully"

Now am also getting "Attempted to read or write protected memory"

This Studio 2011 on a Win 7 system.

I have saved the error reports, in case it would be of any use...

Am panicking at the idea of having to reinstall everything... I have deadlines...

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

J Fox  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 11:19
German to English
+ ...
Installed any updates? Dec 19, 2012

Have you installed any updates to any of your Windows / Office software recently? There have been issues with Office 2007 and Studio, see this post from August onwards:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/222565-word_experienced_a_serious_problem_with_multiterm8dotm_studio_2011_user-page3.html

I had some errors using Studio with Office 2007 after a recent update, and have switched to Office 2010, which got rid of the errors.

Also see this post on where to find help on Trados Studio:

http://www.translationtribulations.com/2012/12/studio-steps-where-to-find-help-on-sdl.html

Pablo Dal Monte
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution Dec 19, 2012

Issue resolved
Thanks to Alexandra Roche, from SDL-Trados for her remote intervention:

The error message itself is quite difficult to decipher because it is an error returned by the application when the value of something it was looking for was null.

Sometimes removing the three xml files helps because they have somehow been corrupted and removing them so Studio can regenerate them can be helpful. I don't have a simple answer to how they get corrupted but my guess would be incorrectly shutting down the application or crashing midway are likely candidates.

So, here's how to find this 3 files I was telling you about:

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\[10.0.0.0]

you delete the following three XML files:

- BaseSettings.xml
- plugincache.xml
- UserSettings.xml

In case you cannot see the "AppData" folder, make sure that your folder view is set to "display hidden system folders. " Here are step-by-step instructions: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Show-hidden-files.

When you delete these and restart Studio it will be as if you are starting for the first time (except for licensing that will not be affected) and you may lose some user settings... you won't lose work as this is all saved as files elsewhere, you may just need to add them back.

And thanks Jayne for your post. I also still work with 2007 but usually rarely have it open while I work on Studio these days.

Happy Holidays

Carla Lopes  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:19
Member (2008)
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
HELP PLEASE! Nov 26, 2013

I'm having the same problem, but this solution didn't work... I don't know what else to do, I am panicking......

Does anyone know another possible solution for this problem?...

TIA

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
More information... Nov 27, 2013

Hi Carla,

What version of Studio are you using?
What are you doing when you get the error messages?
What kind of files are you translating?
What are the error messages?

Thanks

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lots of error messages, Studio 2011 not working, arrghh

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search