Off topic: Unsolicited emails by SDL - ethics, what ethics?
Thread poster: Claudia Krysztofiak

Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:01
English to German
+ ...
Dec 19, 2012

After long consideration and some testing I finally bought SDL Trados 2011 Freelance plus this month and am already working with it. Installing, licensing, working, everything went smoothly. Nice!

But then ...
Yesterday I received an unsolicited email by SDL (noreply@sdl.com, how convenient) that I had been registered in one of their community newsgroups. I had not registered myself and the professional way to express an invitation to some newsgroup in my old-fashioned opinion
... See more
After long consideration and some testing I finally bought SDL Trados 2011 Freelance plus this month and am already working with it. Installing, licensing, working, everything went smoothly. Nice!

But then ...
Yesterday I received an unsolicited email by SDL (noreply@sdl.com, how convenient) that I had been registered in one of their community newsgroups. I had not registered myself and the professional way to express an invitation to some newsgroup in my old-fashioned opinion, would be an invitation, which I could accept or ignore.

But no, I received my login and password I had never ordered. I have not used them so far.

And then the flooding started. Not only had someone from SDL opened an acount in one of their newsgroups on my behalf and activated it without me ever logging into said newsgroup, but they obviously also set the email options to "send every posting by email" or something like this. Every email I received had a small link in its footer: "stop receiving emails on this subject". Precious!

I sent an email to the support address (support@sdl.com) which they apparently received. Because today I received an answer:

"SDL Support - failed to identify your account.
From [my email address]
Incident number: Unknown
Account: Unknown
Email received: 18/12/2012 00:00:00
Subject: SDL-spamming"

So, if my account is unknown, how can you keep sending me emails, how could I have been able to license my software? It is a miracle, Ho ho ho, a Christmas miracle.

Yes, I know, why not just login to this account the staff set up for you and deactivate the email settings? I will do this. But I also think this has something to do with business ethics. I am a customer and I wish to be treated with respect and not be hijacked by some community system and then denied into non-existence. SDL has a large market share and now starts using their customer's information without explicit permission to serve their own ideas. What comes next?

I receive enough unsolicited emails from dubious sources. I'd be happy not to receive it from companies I thought serious and professional.

Is there anyone else left with this old-fashioned opinion?

SDL, I have a wish for Christmas: Peace on earth and everywhere else, happy people and an end to suffering, and PLEASE don't register me in any more of your community newsgroups, but leave this to me. I am able to use your software, so please trust me, I am also able to register with newsgroups, if I need to and want to.

Thank you!
Have a wonderful Christmas time and a very happy new year everybody!
Collapse

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi Claudia Dec 19, 2012

Most probably during the purchase you have overlooked a field that is ticked by default and allows SDL to share your contact and license details with their resellers.

To change this, you should now log in to your SDL account at oos.sdl.com and change the email options at "My details" page (tick the field "Please check this box if you do not wish to receive information about our products and services") and Account Details page (untick the "Data Sharing" field).

HTH,
... See more
Most probably during the purchase you have overlooked a field that is ticked by default and allows SDL to share your contact and license details with their resellers.

To change this, you should now log in to your SDL account at oos.sdl.com and change the email options at "My details" page (tick the field "Please check this box if you do not wish to receive information about our products and services") and Account Details page (untick the "Data Sharing" field).

HTH,
Natalia
Collapse

Schtroumpf
German to French
+ ...
Same as you! Dec 19, 2012

Dear Claudia,

I did buy their SW but never asked for these mails (more than half a dozen per day) which started crowding my mailbox since 2 days. Is this a bug...? And I don't want to spend my time registering on their website just in order to tell the machine "no, thx".

Unfortunately for him, M. Noreply @ SDL is now "registered" in MY spam protection ;-(

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: -------

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (1970)
English
SDL QuickStart Dec 19, 2012

Claudia Krysztofiak wrote:

SDL, I have a wish for Christmas: Peace on earth and everywhere else, happy people and an end to suffering, and PLEASE don't register me in any more of your community newsgroups, but leave this to me. I am able to use your software, so please trust me, I am also able to register with newsgroups, if I need to and want to.

Dear Claudia,

We're guilty as charged. We decided last month to provide at least 30-days free support for all users purchasing a new license or upgrade to Studio so they could ask any questions they like and get some help that extended beyond licensing and installation. We did this as an email facility initially, but then decided to add this to our SDL Community (a facility we run for Beta testing and other private groups) so that people could share in the responses and benefit from the help... similar to what you see here in ProZ but with dedicated support access to SDL as well as many other useful features. It's called SDL QuickStart.

Unfortunately, the default settings that we have now changed, caused all the users we imported (several thousand), to receive notifications of every post. This probably amounted to half a dozen or so, but we did have some complaints from users who were unhappy, as you are, about receiving these without being told that you would get them first in addition to receiving the email we sent advising of the switch from email to forum.

So, we have removed all the users from this facility who have not already signed in and started taking advantage of it and will add them back upon request. All future additions (made by bulk import) will be made with the notifications switched off.

So many apologies for this, and if you decide that you would like to take advantage of this free offer please feel free to drop me an email and I'll add you back again.

Happy Christmas... and best wishes for 2013.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is not about resellers Dec 19, 2012

Natalie wrote:

HTH,
Natalia

No, Natalia,
I have not. But thank you for your suggestion. Anyway, SDL did not give my infos to resellers (I hope). They only send me unsolicited emails from their own community.

And I am not the only one. Apparently they think this is a SERVICE. They register new users of SDL Trados with a special quickstart newsgroup with the standard email settings "send all". There already has been a posting in this newsgroup now, from a person who was quite unhappy, since all these emails are not helpful when you try to work. This person wanted to know, how to stop this, after having changed the email settings and then still receiving the postings.

But whether some box was checked or not, in my humble opinion, the helpful way to do this, is by sending an invitation you can accept or decline, and not by simply registering people so they have to login first to get out again. I translate for a living and prefer my tools to be helpful and not time consuming.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
There are miracles after all ... :-) Dec 19, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

So, we have removed all the users from this facility who have not already signed in and started taking advantage of it and will add them back upon request. All future additions (made by bulk import) will be made with the notifications switched off.

So many apologies for this, and if you decide that you would like to take advantage of this free offer please feel free to drop me an email and I'll add you back again.

Happy Christmas... and best wishes for 2013.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Thank you so much, Paul! You really made my day!
Happy Holidays and all the best for 2013.
Claudia

[Bearbeitet am 2012-12-19 16:16 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unsolicited emails by SDL - ethics, what ethics?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search