Error Studio 2011 "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"
Thread poster: Manuela Lupoli

Manuela Lupoli  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:33
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 20, 2012

Dear colleagues,

I have troubles with Studio 2011. There appears the error message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" (more or less, the original message I get is in Italian).
Would you mind please advice me on what I could do to restore the normal situation?
It has appeared after I have carried out a revision job.
I thank you warmly for your support! It will be much appreciated!
Best Regards and Happy Xmas!
Manuela

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
What are you doing... Dec 20, 2012

... when the error occurs? This information might help to suggest a useful solution. The error messaage itself is very generic and is not driven by Studio directly which is why it's difficult to provide anything more illuminating.

There is a also a small disk symbol on the bottom left of the error message usually and and if you click on this you can save an xml file that contains more details. Often the first few lines of the xml can be more helpful.

Regards

Paul

English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to Paul Dec 20, 2012

Dear Paul,
Thank you for your reply!
Well, basically I have uploaded another file (this time to be translated) and once I tried to change the line, this message appears. Fortunately last job was very small and I could press "X" every time, but with a larger file it would be impossible!
Yes there are two small icons on the left bottom side. I had actually saved the xml..but it is on my laptop at home I will send you further details later on today then
Thanks for now.
Manuela

United Kingdom
English
Maybe try a Studio Reset Dec 20, 2012

Hi Manuela,

This article explains what to do:

Studio reset: http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=4393&source=Article&c=12&cid=23

But only apply the first two as you don't need to change the projects folder for this problem:

1. C:\Users\[User_Name]\AppData\Local\SDL: delete/rename the SDL Trados Studio and ProjectApi folder
  2. C:\Users\[User_Name]\AppData\Roaming\SDL: delete/rename the SDL Trados Studio folder

Don’t do number 3. ie, the projects folder.

Regards

Paul

English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still not working Dec 22, 2012

Dear Paul,

I tried to follow your suggestion, but actually I was not able to solve the problem. In the meantime I have also installed updates, in the hope everything was in order. NO!

I have saved the report. Here it is (I cannot understand it):

- Riferimento a un oggetto non impostato su un'istanza di oggetto. - System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 Sdl.Desktop.Platform.WinForms -

-

Thanks for your support
Manuela

English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Dec 27, 2012

Since I was very concerned, I have uninstalled the programme and re-installed it...well, nothing solved!!!
BTW I have noticed that the error appears if I use a TM (whatever it is - could be an uploaded or a newly created one) but if I do not work with a TM all seems to go smoothly.
Please have you got any suggestion? I am in a great stress because I really need the SW to work
Thank you!
Ps. I have also installed all updates!

Bárbara H  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2013)
German to Spanish
+ ...
similar problem, everything blocked in Studio 2011 Jun 7, 2013

I have a similar problem as Manuela with Studio 2011. I also get that error message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object", but also the whole program is blocked: I cannot close the program neither exit windows. I think the original problem might be the TM, as well, since yesterday I could not create a new TM for the project, so I took another one with the same language combination. I am really getting upset, because it is a large file..... Ah, I also cannot open the text in the Editor, I get here another error message: Key not found, Parametername:key

United Kingdom
English
Contact Support Jun 7, 2013

Hi Bárbara,

Did you try deleting the files mentioned in this thread? If that didn't help then perhaps try a full reset : http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=4393&source=Article&c=12&cid=23

If that still doesn't help then I think you should contact Support. Go to the Knowledgebase;

http://kb.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder and now go here;

Download & Installation Problems
- The installation went fine, but now I get an error message when opening or using the program.
-- The error occurs in SDL Trados Studio 2011

Then complete all the fields in the form making sure your email address is entered correctly or nobody will be able to get back in touch with you. I'm afraid it will probably be Monday before this happened now.

regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error Studio 2011 "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search