Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:10
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Dec 20, 2012

Dear colleagues,

I recently updated Java to version 7 Update 10. Whenever I try to enter a new term in my termbase, I am shown the following Java security warning (sorry, but I only have a German version).

No matter how often I click on 'Accept' and tick 'Don't show this message again', the message keeps popping up. The directory that is shown seems to be different every time.

Do I really have to uninstall Java 7.10 again or is there a way of deactivating these warnings? Other than the warnings popping up, I haven't noticed any changed behaviour in Studio 2011 (SP2 - 10.2.3001.0) or Multiterm 2011 (SP2 - 9.2.361.0).

Thank you in advance!

Stefanie

[Edited at 2012-12-20 17:12 GMT]

Peter146 (X)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Java warning in Multiterm 2011 Dec 24, 2012

Dear Stefanie, dear colleagues

I'm having the same issue when i press F2 to edit a term. The location/Verzeichnis stated in my security warning is different though:

When I checked my programs list I noticed I'm running two versions of Java: Java 7 Update 10 and Java(TM) 6 Update 24. Are you running both versions as well?

Kind regards
Peter

Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Java versions Dec 26, 2012

Hi Peter,

I am now running Java 6 Update 24 and Java 6 Update 32, just like before the upgrade that triggered the error messages in Multiterm. I decided to deinstall Java 7 Update 10, and now the error messages do not appear anymore.

The problem now is that I need a new version of Java for running my tax software, so I am still hoping for a solution that allows me to do my taxes AND run Multiterm without an error message for each term entry.

Best regards,

Stefanie

Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
It's unsafe to run old versions of Java Dec 27, 2012

hi Stephanie,
I've also upgraded Java and get the same warning as you. it's probably related to the Safety level set in the Security tab of the Java Control Panel (in this version of Java you can set up the safety level, in the mentioned Security tab).

I wanted to tell you that it is very unsafe for your PC to run old versions of Java. you are prone to dangerous malaware. I would reinstall the latest version of Java and set the safety level to low while using Studio or Trados.

I also need the latest version of Java for my tax software!

good luck!

Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
set the Security level to Low Dec 27, 2012

I confirm that if you set the Java Security level to Low, you won't get the Warning message every time you insert a term in your Termbase!

kind regards,
Lorenzo

Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Java security setting Jan 11, 2013

Thank you for your input, Lorenzo.

I basically use Studio 2011 for all my work. That means that whenever my computer is on, Studio is running, and therefore the Java security setting is always placed on Low. I am not sure this is a good thing to do, security-wise.

Does anybody know of a way to somehow tell Java to accept Studio as no thread and stop displaying those messages?

And, something else that I noticed: When I disable Java content in my browser, I cannot enter terms into my termbank anymore. I highlight both terms and click Ctrl+F2. And the terms don't show up for saving into the TB. Does that make any sense?

Best regards,

Stefanie

PS: I have upgraded to Studio 2011 SP2R - 10.4.3056.0 in the meantime. My Multiterm version is still 2011 SP2 - 9.2.361.0, which is the newest version, as far as I know.

Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
no problem Jan 11, 2013

hi Stephanie,
as far as I know, you can keep the Security level on Low.
but it maybe dangerous to use your Browser with such a setting.
I also only use Studio 2011, but seldom have to input terms into a Termbase.
anyway, you should keep the most recent version of Java.
kind regards,
Lorenzo

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
There is a KB for this... Jan 11, 2013

... http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=4645&source=Article&c=12&cid=23

But I think you probably have it covered already. Strangely I had the very same issue come out of nowhere the day before yesterday... although I think it was the result of me taking a Java update to allow Apple Quicktime to run some media content in a browser. I uninstalled Quicktime after I'd reviewed it and put things back to normal on my machine.

Regards

Paul

564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Anything to do with the general warning against using Java right now? Jan 12, 2013

A couple of Danish news sites mention today that a security issue has been discovered in the latest version of Java and people are encouraged to disable Java unless they absolutely need to use it, and to use a separate browser for e.g. internet banking (which in Denmark requires use of Java). I presume the warning will be lifted once the Java people send out a patch for the flaw.

[Edited at 2013-01-12 12:33 GMT]

Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
thanks Gitte Jan 12, 2013

it's incredible, Java is always into problems. every new version has security holes a short time after release. they will surely release a patch shortly, I'm sure.
kind regards,
Lorenzo

Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
Java 7.11 available Jan 14, 2013

Oracle has come up with a quick solution to the security hole found in Java version 7.10.
there is already a new version readily available that fixes the latter.

Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2013)
German to English
Reducing security not a helpful option ... Feb 9, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

... http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=4645&source=Article&c=12&cid=23

But I think you probably have it covered already. Strangely I had the very same issue come out of nowhere the day before yesterday... although I think it was the result of me taking a Java update to allow Apple Quicktime to run some media content in a browser. I uninstalled Quicktime after I'd reviewed it and put things back to normal on my machine.

Regards

Paul

I have looked at the KB article and all the solutions suggested simply involving reducing the level of security on the computer until the warning no longer appears. Am I the only one who thinks this sounds like madness? Surely I shouldn't have to endanger my computer just so I can run a software program.

Is there no better solution? I am running Java 7.13 now and the problem has not gone away.

Magdalena Psiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Here is what has worked for me: Feb 27, 2013

1. Go to control panel
2. Open Java applet
3. Click "Advanced"
4. Go to "java plug-in"
5. Un-tick the option "enable the next generation java plug-in"
6. Restart the comp.

Hope this will work on your comps, too.

Akke Wagenaar  Identity Verified
Senegal
Local time: 05:10
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
+ ...
How to set your computer to use different version of Java. Mar 6, 2013

Stefanie Sendelbach wrote:
I am now running Java 6 Update 24 and Java 6 Update 32, just like before the upgrade that triggered the error messages in Multiterm. I decided to deinstall Java 7 Update 10, and now the error messages do not appear anymore.

The problem now is that I need a new version of Java for running my tax software, so I am still hoping for a solution that allows me to do my taxes AND run Multiterm without an error message for each term entry.

Lorenzo wrote:
I've also upgraded Java and get the same warning as you. it's probably related to the Safety level set in the Security tab of the Java Control Panel (in this version of Java you can set up the safety level, in the mentioned Security tab). Lorenzo

Hello all.

Thanks for your answers here.
You are right, it is unsafe to use older versions.
It also indeed foolish to suppress always all security warnings.
What I have done:
1. Control Panel
2. Java Control Panel
3. Tab-> Java
4. Button: View
5. Enable only the latest version of Java (after having done the update)
6. Tab-> Security
7. Set slider to Custom
8. Click on: Settings.
9. Here I have set 'Action for untrusted apps on secure JER version' and 'Action for local applets' to:
Run without prompt.
10. It works. I will still try to figure out which one of the two is for the Java app used for Termbase Viewer.
11. Best is to reset the slider when finished with SDL.

Question: Why does SDL create a program that relies heavily on Java ..., a software they can't control?

Best regards,
Akke

[Edited at 2013-03-06 18:48 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-03-06 18:50 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-03-06 19:15 GMT]

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:10
Finnish to French
Why Java? Mar 6, 2013

Akke Wagenaar wrote:
Question: Why does SDL create a program that relies heavily on Java ..., a software they can't control?

I've also been wondering the same and I asked that same question about one week ago here.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Java warning in Multiterm 2011

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search