German quotation marks in Trados Studio with source being TagEditor file
Thread poster: Dr. phil. Christiane Bohnert

Dr. phil. Christiane Bohnert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:56
Member (2003)
English to German
Dec 22, 2012

After I converted the TagEditor file to Trados Studio, I discovered that there is no quick insert key under the TagEditor file in the files list, and the ALT keys (0132 and 0147) do not work. When using the latter, the cursor jumps to the next cell, and the present cell is put back to English, and saved.

Thus inserting German quotation marks is not possible, neither the Trados 2011 way nor the TagEditor way.

Direct link Reply with quote

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:56
English to French
+ ...
QuickInsert Dec 23, 2012

Hi Christiane,

Use QuickInsert -> View -> Toolbars, check QuickInsert. Looks to me it should be Ctrl+8. If it's not the case, create your own shortcut. Select the file type you're translating and add a QuickInsert shortcut, you'll have to do every file type though.

HTH,

Bernard

Dr. phil. Christiane Bohnert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:56
Member (2003)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Does not work in Trados Tag Editor file Dec 23, 2012

Hello Bernard,

I have created short cuts and quick inserts for other files, but there is no such button under the Trados Tag file. So I cannot create any quick inserts.

My question is how the non-existence of this possibity AND the behavior of Alt keys can be overcome.

English to French
+ ...
Right No Such Shortcut in Studio 2011 Dec 23, 2012

Hi again,

My mistake - I probably looked at the wrong file type. However, the following ALT keys (0132 and 0147) work fine when Num Lock is on, i.e. press Alt and then press 0132 & 0147 - works fine („“)- using a French keyboard though but shouldn't make any difference.

HTH,

Bernard

yllea
Local time: 23:56
English to Estonian
+ ...
Estonian quotation marks in Studio 2011 Jan 28, 2013

Dear Christiane, dear Bernard,

Thanks for sharing ideas about how to insert the German quotation marks.

I have a similar problem - I need Estonian quotation marks, namely „text”, i.e the first mark is exactly like in German but the second one is turned the other way. Any ideas how I could get these? The first one I can obviously get by using Alt 0132.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Ülle

English to French
+ ...
Character Map Jan 28, 2013

Hi Ülle,

Use the character map -> Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Character Map, should be able to find what you need there.

Bernard

yllea
Local time: 23:56
English to Estonian
+ ...
Estonian quotation marks in Studio 2011 - solution found Jan 28, 2013

Hi Bernard,
Thanks very much. I found the solution. The second quotation mark for Estonian is Alt+0148.
Cheers!
Ülle

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

German quotation marks in Trados Studio with source being TagEditor file

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search