Studio 2011; Can't confirm segment
Thread poster: Anders Nylén

Anders Nylén  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:21
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jan 2, 2013

Hi all,

I have just started translating a new document in Studio and notice already from the start that I suddenly can't confirm the segments by clicking ctrl + enter. Absolutely nothing happens when I do that. However, when I use the down arrow to get to segments below, some of them become confirmed by "100%" or "CM".

I have recently reinstalled Studio on my computer (had to reboot it completely) but have a hard time thinking that could have anything to do with it.

Grateful for any input!

Best regards,

Anders

Alexander C. Thomson  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
Try a simple relaunch Jan 2, 2013

Hi Anders,

Itʼs not a very technical suggestion for you but I have had the same problem (in previous releases of Studio, not in 2011 SP2(R)) and have been baffled by it, but closing and reopening the entire application (yes, it takes ages …) has worked for me.

Best regards,
Alex.

English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Restarting doesn't help Jan 2, 2013

Thanks for your input Alex, but restarting it does not help. Still doesn't react to ctrl + enter. When I open "Translation" in the menu it says that "confirm and move to the next unconfirmed segment" is "Alt + Add" which makes me even more confused.

Anders

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Sounds as though you... Jan 2, 2013

... installed with a profile other than the default. There are three options and the non default options try to mirror the shortcuts from Trados or SDLX. Either change your profile or just change the shortcuts you aren't happy with.

Regards

Paul

Tudor STRAISTARU  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 09:21
German to Romanian
Confirm segment Jan 2, 2013

Open Trados then Tools then Options then Keyboard shortcuts then Editor = Confirm and Move to Next Segment (use the combination or choose other one)!

English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Paul, Tudor; follow up question Jan 2, 2013

Thank you for your input, I really thought I installed it exactly the same way as I did when I installed it the first time (before having to reboot windows).

Paul:

1. How do I change the profile and to what should I change it? (this seems like the best way to do it, rather than just change the random shortcut) I am not sure to which phase of the installation you are referring to.

2. If I try the other way suggested (Tools - Options - Keyboard shortcuts - Editor) I can indeed delete the "Alt + Add" as shortcut for "confirm and move to next unconfirmed segment" but it is not possible to type in the preferred shortcut "Ctrl + Enter". Actually I cannot type in anything in that box whatsoever after deleting the "Alt + Add". I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Tudor:

3. Shouldn't the Ctrl + Enter shortcut stand for "confirm and move to next unconfirmed segment" and not just the "confirm and move to next segment"? I am pretty sure that was the way it was before and also is the most practical way to use the shortcut.

Best regards,

Anders

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Changing the profile Jan 3, 2013

Hi,

All you do is go to Tools -> Manage User Profiles and then check the Change user profile button and work through the wizard. The second screen after the first gives you the option to select the user profile you want. The confirm and move to next unconfirmed segment is this:

Default : Ctrl+Enter
SDL Trados : Alt+Add
SDLX : Enter

To manually change a single shortcut you don't type the letters to make the command, you actually press Ctrl+Enter, and this will be placed into the box. However, if you already use something here then it won't be available until you change it.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2013-01-03 20:46 GMT]

English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Got it! Jan 3, 2013

I truly appreciate it Paul, now it is "back to normal"icon_smile.gif

Have a great weekend,

Anders

Hans Näslund
Sweden
Member (2004)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Same problem, but default profile does not exist Feb 27, 2015

I have the same (or at least a similar) problem in Studio 2014: the shortcut Ctrl+Enter confirms the segment but does not move to the next untranslated segment. When I try to change the user profile I only have the two choices SDLX and SDL Trados – the default profile does not exist.
Why is this, and what can I do about it? Restarting the application does not help.

Hans Näslund
Sweden
Member (2004)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Repairiing the installation did not help Feb 27, 2015

I tried to repar the installation but that did not help - the default profile is still missing. I have to use Ctrl+Alt+Enter for moving to next segment.

Hans Näslund
Sweden
Member (2004)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Ctrl+Shift+Enter works... Feb 27, 2015

I have managed to get Confirm and move to next unconfirmed segment to work with the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Shift+Enter - but I still don't understand why the default user profile has disappeared.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Shortcut Feb 27, 2015

Hans Näslund wrote:

I have to use Ctrl+Alt+Enter for moving to next segment.

As you're having problems with profiles, have you simply tried to change the shortcut to the one you want?
File>options>keyboard shortcuts>Editor>Confirm and move to next segment

Aoifekenn
Local time: 07:21
French to English
+ ...
Still can't get Control and Enter to work Jul 16, 2015

Hi there.
I've been experiencing the same problem today; Control and Enter suddenly stopped working as a shortcut. I have tried several different suggestions from this and related threads, all to no avail: I have removed the Base Settings/Plug-in cache and User Settings files; that didn't work. I have changed my User Profile using the wizard; that didn't work either. I have also tried to change the shortcut to another one, again to no avail. I am at the end of my tether here, working on a very large project that is due soon. I need to be able to crack on without these issues thwarting my progress. Please help!

[Edited at 2015-07-16 12:25 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011; Can't confirm segment

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search