SDL Multiterm 2011 desktop - does not integrate in Word.
Thread poster: Charles vdh

Charles vdh
Belgium
Local time: 12:17
Member (Dec 2017)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jan 2, 2013

Hi,
I have a new pc HP Pavilion on which I tried to install Multiterm 2011.
My first 2 attempts failed and gave following message: "could not access HP network location \Hewlet packard\\".
I googled up this error message and apparently this was due to some kind of register residue that was not supposed to be there in windows 7 64 bit version. So I deleted this item and lo, Multiterm was installed without any problem except that it did not integrate into Word.
Does anyone have any clue as to what I can do to get this multiterm menu tab into Word 2010?
Thanks, Charles

Direct link Reply with quote

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Word 32-bit or 64-bit Jan 2, 2013

Hi Charles,

If your Office version is 64-bit, it won't show up - you need to install Office 32-bit but normally you should get an error message if it's a 64-bit version. What is your Office version?

You should also check the following thread: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/229298-multiterm_2011_sp2_macro_issue.html

HTH,

Bernard

[Edited at 2013-01-02 18:46 GMT]

Charles vdh
Belgium
Member (Dec 2017)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word 32 bit / windows 7 64 bit Jan 2, 2013

Hi Bernard,
My Word version is a 32 bit, whereas my windows 7 version is 64 bit.

English to French
+ ...
Should work Jan 2, 2013

Are you using Office 2007 or 2010? Is Multiterm9.dotm listed in the Add-Ins? Another issue could be that dot and dotm got copied into your Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\Startup folder in which case delete the .dot file.

If you recently installed a Windows Update, try the following:

All you have to do is to unregister and register the file MSCOMCTL.OCX.

1. Click Start, type cmd, right click and run as administrator (It's very important to run CMD as administrator)

2. Type in: regsvr32 /u mscomctl.ocx, click "enter". (A window will show up saying that the file has been unregistered)

3. Type in: regsvr32 mscomctl.ocx, click "enter". (A window will show up saying that the file has been registered)

4. Type in "exit"

[Edited at 2013-01-02 19:13 GMT]

Charles vdh
Belgium
Member (Dec 2017)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
sorry, did not work Jan 3, 2013

Hi Bernard,
I'm using windows 7 64 bits and office 2010 32 bits.
Multiterm9.dotm is not listed in the add-ins for Word 2010.

Multiterm9.dotm is listed in Users\Username\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\Startup, but no .dot file.

I have entered this dos command, but all I get in both cases is "The module mscomctl.ocx cannot be loaded.
See to it that the binary file is saved in the path or look for the error by searching for problems with the binary
file or DLL-files that depend on it. Cannot find the module".

English to French
+ ...
Repair Jan 3, 2013

I'm a bit puzzled about your issue. The macro is obviously not loading if it's in the path, it should load.

Under Add-Ins -> Manage, Select Templates in the drop-down list - Click on Go - check if the Multiterm macro is listed and the box checked

Also check that mscomctl.ocx is found under Windows\System32.

If it still won't load, I'd try and repair Office - Uninstall and Modify -> Repair

Charles vdh
Belgium
Member (Dec 2017)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re repair Jan 3, 2013

Hi Bernard,

There is no Multiterm macro listed under add-ins, templates etc.

No mscomctl.ocx either in Windows\System 32

Searching for the file via "Start - search programs and files" did not show any such file either.

English to French
+ ...
Win 7 Jan 3, 2013

Hi Charles,

Indeed, there's no such ocx under Win 7 64-bit. I can't reproduce the issue as I'm using Office 2010 64-bit so if I copy .dotm into the Startup folder I get endless error messages. Are your other macros loading ok? Have you tried deleting Normal.dotm?

Charles vdh
Belgium
Member (Dec 2017)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re Win 7 Jan 3, 2013

Hi Bernard,
My macro's are loading ok
I haven't deleted normal.dotm
But I found out that when I go to Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Multiterm\Multiterm9\Templates I find this
MultiTerm9.dotm.
When I open this file I get a word document in which I have to activate the content, but which does show the
Multiterm menu tab. So it must be possible for the macro to be made active somewhere in order for it to be operative when I open the Word program?
When right clicking on the file and choosing properties it says: MS Word template with activated macro.

English to French
+ ...
Path Issue Jan 3, 2013

I think there must be some sort of path issue on your system:

The macro is obviously not loading if it's in the path, it should load.

Under Add-Ins -> Manage, Select Templates in the drop-down list - Click on Go - Select Add and navigate to Multiterm9.dotm (Startup folder) - it should load if it doesn't you should get an error message. Alternatively, navigate to the Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL MultiTerm\Templates folder and try and load it from there.

Good luck,

Bernard

Charles vdh
Belgium
Member (Dec 2017)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re path issue Jan 3, 2013

I managed to get MultiTerm9.dotm in the Add-in list, but as a non-active add-in for applications.
I can make it active by checking the box, but only for the current document.
Each time I quit Word, I have to go through this procedure again.
When I go to "manage add-ins" and try to add MultTerm9.dotm, I get a message:
MultiTerm9.dotm is not a valid Office add-in application. (in this managing box pdf-complete e.g. is listed and checked)
I have also added it as a trustworthy location, but no avail.
Do you know if I can make it recognisable as a valid add-in for Office somewhere else ?

English to French
+ ...
Event Log Jan 3, 2013

The only thing I can think of right now is that there must be some sort of conflict between all of your installed macros and MultiTerm 2011. Check your Event Log for any messages that may point to what the issue is.

Another way is to disable all of the macros and re-enable them one by one, starting with Multiterm8.dotm and as soon as it won't load any more - you've got the culprit, my guess is that it probably a pdf macro, known to cause problems.

Last tip - what you're describing also happens when an application is installed on an external drive, I have installed SDL Trados on a external HD as I don't use it very often - so every time I need to use it I have to enable the macro, not a big deal as I consider it as legacy S/W.

[Edited at 2013-01-03 21:27 GMT]

Charles vdh
Belgium
Member (Dec 2017)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
re event log Jan 4, 2013

Hi Bernard,
Well, as it is now, we've managed to get the template somewhere in the right place, but it can only be activated manually. So be it, it just takes a few clicks.
I don't want to push this issue any further and take too much of your valuable time.
If I would ever succeed in having it opened automatically, I'll let you know. Meanwhile thank you very much
for your help, I really appreciate it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Multiterm 2011 desktop - does not integrate in Word.

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search