How do I convert a Wordfast txt glossary to a Multiterm database suitable for Trados Studio?
Thread poster: Claire Cox
Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:56
French to English
+ ...
Jan 2, 2013

Hello,

First of all, apologies for cross-posting. I wasn't sure which forum to post this query in as it relates to both Wordfast and Trados.

I usually use Wordfast Classic, so have built up a number of very large glossaries in txt form over the years. I also have a couple of clients who prefer me to use Trados, so I have invested in Trados Studio 2009 over recent years too. I now have the situation where a new client would like me to use Trados, but in a field and langu
... See more
Hello,

First of all, apologies for cross-posting. I wasn't sure which forum to post this query in as it relates to both Wordfast and Trados.

I usually use Wordfast Classic, so have built up a number of very large glossaries in txt form over the years. I also have a couple of clients who prefer me to use Trados, so I have invested in Trados Studio 2009 over recent years too. I now have the situation where a new client would like me to use Trados, but in a field and language pair in which I have comprehensive glossaries in Wordfast and I would like to transfer them to a Multiterm termbase. A quick search on the internet suggests that it is possible to create a termbase from an Excel file, but I can't find anything about a txt file conversion.

I'd be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Many thanks.

Claire

[Edited at 2013-01-02 20:44 GMT]
Collapse

J Fox
J Fox  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 16:56
German to English
+ ...
Convert to Excel and then to MultiTerm Jan 2, 2013

I would save the TXT file as an Excel file, check that the entries are as you want them, and then convert from Excel to MultiTerm. You can use the Glossary Converter or MultiTerm to do this - details ... See more
I would save the TXT file as an Excel file, check that the entries are as you want them, and then convert from Excel to MultiTerm. You can use the Glossary Converter or MultiTerm to do this - details below:

http://foxdocs.biz/BetweenTranslations/the-quick-way-to-convert-glossaries-and-termbases-between-excel-and-multiterm/

http://foxdocs.biz/BetweenTranslations/how-to-create-a-termbase-in-multiterm/

http://foxdocs.biz/BetweenTranslations/how-to-import-a-bilingual-excel-glossary-into-multiterm-for-use-in-trados-studio/
Collapse

Nuria Morales
Nuria Morales  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:56
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A helpful link Jan 2, 2013

Hello, Claire

I find this link very useful and friendly. Hope you can solve your problem!

Kind regards

Nuria

http://wasaty.pl/blog/2010/05/30/importing-glossary-entries-to-multiterm/

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:56
English to Polish
+ ...
Or if you're in geek mood Jan 2, 2013

or feel adventurous, you can use/modify my script: http://syntax.home.pl/multiterm.html

It may seem "rocket science" at first, but I use this script every time I want generate a bilingual glossary XML file for import into multiterm. The XML file format for bilingual glossary has not changed between multiterm versions from several years ago and the current one.

HTH

... See more
or feel adventurous, you can use/modify my script: http://syntax.home.pl/multiterm.html

It may seem "rocket science" at first, but I use this script every time I want generate a bilingual glossary XML file for import into multiterm. The XML file format for bilingual glossary has not changed between multiterm versions from several years ago and the current one.

HTH

Piotr

[Edited at 2013-01-03 10:26 GMT]
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:56
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks Jan 2, 2013

Thank you so much, especially to Nuria and Jayne. What a complicated process! However, after following the step-by-step instructions, I think I've cracked it and now have 3 termbases installed in Trados. One last question; the document I'm working on is Belgian French to UK English, but I'd like to be able to use these glossaries on other language variants such as US English or French French in future. When processing the second of my files onwards, I added these as languages in one of the stage... See more
Thank you so much, especially to Nuria and Jayne. What a complicated process! However, after following the step-by-step instructions, I think I've cracked it and now have 3 termbases installed in Trados. One last question; the document I'm working on is Belgian French to UK English, but I'd like to be able to use these glossaries on other language variants such as US English or French French in future. When processing the second of my files onwards, I added these as languages in one of the stages (can't remember at which point!), so am hoping I will be able to use them with those languages in future. (Trados seems very sensitive to language variants, unlike Wordfast). Assuming that is the case, how do I now modify the first termbase to add the other languages too?

Thanks again,

Claire
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I convert a Wordfast txt glossary to a Multiterm database suitable for Trados Studio?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »