Studio 2009 and images in PowerPoint files
Thread poster: David Goward

David Goward  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:05
French to English
Jan 4, 2013

Hello everyone.

I have the following issue with PowerPoint files.

When opened in the Studio 2009 editor, a lot of segments are created containing the file names of photos, etc. (e.g. C:\Users[...]\IMG_1234.jpg, http:/www.[website].com/machine.jpg, or simply a123456.tif).
This is not only creating a lot of extra work as they all have to be confirmed (or copied from source and then confirmed), but also falsifies the word counts.
Am I doing something wrong on adding/importing the files? If not, is there an option to ignore these "tags"?

Thanks for all input and advice.

I wish you all a happy, healthy and prosperous new year.

David

Direct link Reply with quote

Maria Bruessler  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
One possible option... Jan 4, 2013

would be to leave the target segments blank. This saves you the work of copying over the source and when creating the target file, the text from the source segments will automatically be used. So you won't lose any text in the translation. Also, this avoids the TM becoming cluttered with file names as it would happen when you copy and confirm them.

But I guess that doesn't really solve your problem, you need the actual images instead of the file names, don't you? Unfortunately I don't have a suggestion for that. Have you tried to create a target file already? You don't even have to translate the file first, just select "create target file" from the batch tasks and open this file. Maybe the images are in the right places anyway?

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Converting back to PowerPoint OK Jan 4, 2013

Thanks for your reply, Maria.

The target file can be created with the images in the right place so, fortunately, there is no problem there.
I am just trying to avoid having lots of extra segments to process in the Studio (xliff) file and to get a word count which approaches reality.

Alain Pommet  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
convert to ppt? Jan 4, 2013

I came across this problem a while back and got round it by converting the ppt from pptx format to ppt. (Or the other way round, I don't remember now).
I have no idea why this worked.

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
It worked! Jan 4, 2013

Alain,
Just tried your workaround with one of the four files I have and it worked!
Merci beaucoup !

Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Unacceptable solution Jan 25, 2013

Dear all,
I have the same problem with the picture names being in segments, but this PowerPoint deck is chock-full of images and animations. I get warnings about losses and incompatibility when I try to save the file as an earlier version.

The Tag Content column on the right of my Editor window displays the tags distinctively and describes them with "picture".

Is it possible to hide/conceal these segments, or maybe to lock them, so that they can be excluded from the editing process and - preferably - not included in the word counts?

Considering that the PPTX format exists since Office 2007, I find it difficult to believe that there's no solution to such an inconvenience.
-Mike-

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 and images in PowerPoint files

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search