Japanese text in Excel lost when saved as a CSV file to create a TM in Trados Studio 2011
Thread poster: tulip bubble

tulip bubble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:16
Member (2012)
English to Japanese
Jan 6, 2013

Hello everyone,

I am trying to create a TM from an Excel glossary in my Trados Studio 2011. The glossary has English source text in the first column and Japanese target in the second. The problem is when I save it as a CSV (comma delimited) file, all Japanese characters in the second column are converted into question marks. So when I open the CSV file in my Studio, the target language segments show question marks.

I cannot figure out how to keep Japanese characters from turning into question marks when I save it as a CSV. Could someone help me fix this problem?

Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

samehme
United States
Local time: 01:16
English to Arabic
+ ...
Unicode CSV Jan 6, 2013

Hi,

You need to 'Save As' "the Japanese text" in Unicode. And Excel, I am using version 2010, doesn't have a direct way of saving CSV as Unicode.

I did a search through the Office Help, and have landed a site with an Add-In for saving CSV with Unicode. However, I didn't try it!!

Here is the Link:

http://jaimonmathew.wordpress.com/2011/08/23/excel_addin_to_work_with_unicode_csv/

Good luck and let me know if it works.

United States
Member (2012)
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Unicode CSV Jan 6, 2013

Hi samehme,

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I was not able to install an Add-In after attempting a few times. I got an error message saying “the file does not have a valid digital signature that verifies its publisher” when I tried to install the application.

Regards,
TB

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:16
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Use Apache OpenOffice Calc Jan 7, 2013

Use Apache OpenOffice Calc [1] instead of MS Excel. It allows selecting among encodings when saving to CSV. Try both Unicode and Unicode UTF-8, to see what is the best for your case.

[1] www.openoffice.org

United States
Member (2012)
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
I found another solution Jan 7, 2013

SDL support helped me fix the problem.

I needed to save the Excel glossary as a Unicode format. It was that simple.
I will try OpenOffice some other time.

Thank you, samehme and esperantisto, for your help.

Regards,
tb

Zurab Jamagidze
Local time: 13:16
English to Georgian
+ ...
Japanese text in Excel lost when saved as a CSV file to create a TM Jan 18, 2013

tulip bubble wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am trying to create a TM from an Excel glossary in my Trados Studio 2011. The glossary has English source text in the first column and Japanese target in the second. The problem is when I save it as a CSV (comma delimited) file, all Japanese characters in the second column are converted into question marks. So when I open the CSV file in my Studio, the target language segments show question marks.

I cannot figure out how to keep Japanese characters from turning into question marks when I save it as a CSV. Could someone help me fix this problem?

Thanks.

It is problem of encoding UTF - 8.
I have had the same problem when I convert Excel file into Msql database.
When I used Microsoft Access everything goes correctly.
Will you try to use Access instead of excel?

[Edited at 2013-01-18 15:33 GMT]

Maya Gorgoshidze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 13:16
Member (2004)
English to Georgian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hello all, Jan 18, 2013

I am moving this thread to the SDL Trados support forum...

Kind regards,
Maya

[Edited at 2013-01-18 17:25 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Japanese text in Excel lost when saved as a CSV file to create a TM in Trados Studio 2011

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €415 / $495
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 You will also receive FREE access to our getting started eLearning program!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search