Thread poster: tulip bubble

tulip bubble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:50
Member (2012)
English to Japanese
Jan 6, 2013

Hello everyone,

I have an Excel glossary with more than 4700 rows of data including a number of translated sentences. It was provided by my client and I have to use this glossary wherever applicable. So I thought about a TM and/or a termbase.

Since I could not create a TM from the glossary for technical reasons (for which I have posted a topic here a while ago), I tried to import the glossary into my MultiTerm. It did not work, either. Converting the glossary from the Excel file was not a problem. But at the end of the process of importing the converted glossary, I got the following message: “MultiTerm encountered irregularities during import. Please check the information in the log file.” The log file was blank.

Any input will be appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:50
French to English
+ ...
Index languages? Jan 6, 2013

Hello,

I'm very much a novice at Multiterm and had to ask for help in converting a Wordfast text glossary to a Multiterm termbase only last week (see: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/240424-how_do_i_convert_a_wordfast_txt_glossary_to_a_multiterm_database_suitable_for_trados_studio.html.

However, after following the invaluable instructions suggested in the above post, I managed to convert one glossary, but had the message you describe for the other two. I thought they had converted, but as I began working it was apparent that terms which should have been there plainly were not and when I checked the glossary details, there were no terms. I went back to the prepared txt files and repeated the process very carefully, but this time, when it came to importing the terms, I just left the index languages as they appeared in the screen, rather than adding (again) my chosen languages. After that, I didn't receive the irregularity message and the glossaries now work!

This may not solve your problem, but it's certainly worth trying to convert the file again, just in case you've overlooked a small detail.

Good luck!

Claire

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:50
English
When you say a glossary.... Jan 6, 2013

tulip bubble wrote:

I have an Excel glossary with more than 4700 rows of data including a number of translated sentences. It was provided by my client and I have to use this glossary wherever applicable. So I thought about a TM and/or a termbase.

Do you mean simple word lists with translations.. sometimes? Or something more complex than this? If the former try reviewing the Glossary Converter : http://multifarious.filkin.com/2012/09/17/glossaries-made-easy/

Regards

Paul

United States
Member (2012)
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
@Claire Jan 6, 2013

Thanks for sharing your experience and the link. I have repeated the process with special attention to the index language – the tricky part as you pointed out. But no luck so far. Even though my glossary was converted, it would not be imported no matter how I carefully gave it a try. I think there is something wrong with the original Excel sheet in my case.

Regards,
tb

United States
Member (2012)
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
@Paul Jan 6, 2013

Thanks for telling me about the Glossary Converter. I downloaded it and dragged and dropped my Excel glossary onto it. But I did not see any entries on my termbase. I think the Japanese language has something to do with all these problems. The Excel glossary might contain the source of the problems, too.

As for the glossary, it had originally three columns, one for “ID” and the other two are for the source and the target, respectively. The project is for software/online materials, so the glossary has the “ID” column as additional information to each term, which I deleted when I tried to create the termbase first time. I tried the glossary with the “ID” column (three columns in total) later, but did not see any difference.

The glossary actually is missing translations in some cells – there are empty cells. Also it contains signs such as %, , _, etc.

Regards,
tb

United Kingdom
English
Can I see the excel file? Jan 6, 2013

Hi Tulip,

If you can share the excel file with me I can take a look for you?

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

IanDhu  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
When converting, take nothing for granted: check every component Jan 7, 2013

Claire alluded to a problem in dealing with complex conversion processes: each stage needs to be checked, and so does each newly-created file, to ensure that it duly contains the desired content.

Take nothing for granted: the computer works for us, but doesn't think for us.

HTH.

With kind regards,

Adam Warren (IanDhu - 41189)
ahw@wordgrist.com

United Kingdom
English
In this case... Jan 7, 2013

... there was no obvious problem. Removing the first column, as this was unnecessary for the glossary, was sufficient. The Glossary Converter then successfully created the termbase.

Regards

Paul

United States
Member (2012)
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved! Jan 7, 2013

I finally created a termbase with Paul’s technical support.

My glossary had initially three columns. As Paul explained above, one of them that was not the source or the target needed to be removed before converting.

After all, I was not used to MultiTerm and confused at some point.

Thanks Claire, Paul, and IanDhu for your help!

Regards,
tb

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm encountered irregularities during import

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search