Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:59
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jan 7, 2013

G'day everyone

A client sent me an SDLXLIFF file to edit. I double-clicked it, and it opened in Trados 2008, and I edited it. Now the client wants me to send him the edited SDLXLIFF file plus a TMX file based on that SDLXLIFF file. I have no idea how to do get the TMX file.

In Trados 2007, I would have created a new, blank TM, and then clean up the bilingual file, and then export the TMX file, but how does one do it in Trados 2009? Does anyone know of a tutorial with the steps in it?

Thanks
Samuel

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:59
Finnish to French
OpenExchange app Jan 7, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:
A client sent me an SDLXLIFF file to edit. I double-clicked it, and it opened in Trados 2008, and I edited it. Now the client wants me to send him the edited SDLXLIFF file plus a TMX file based on that SDLXLIFF file. I have no idea how to do get the TMX file.

If you have a copy of Studio (or, more precisely, an account with SDL, and thus access to Open Exchange applications), you may want to have a look at this:

http://www.translationzone.com/en/openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=175

Francisco Paredes Maldonado  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Follow these steps... Jan 7, 2013

Hi there,

I think you can basically use the same procedure for Trados 2009. Here's what I would do:

1. Create a new translation memory (select the TM tab on the left sidebar, then File\New\Translation Memory).

2. Import the contents of the SDLXLIFF file into your TM (File\Import).

3. Once the Import process is over, export the TM as TMX (File\Export). In the "Export to" field, make sure you add the .tmx extension to the filename or Studio won't know what format to output.

Hope this helps!

Fran

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Francisco Jan 7, 2013

Francisco Paredes Maldonado wrote:
I think you can basically use the same procedure for Trados 2009. Here's what I would do: ...

Thanks, this was exactly what I needed.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Although the app... Jan 7, 2013

... that Dominique mentioned might be more appropriate depending on the context of the text. This is because Studio doesn't always need multiple TUs for things it can recognise (number only segments, duplicates as a result of placeables (possibly custom placeables only you have as well) etc.). So if you export from an SDLTM it is possible that the TMX may not contain all the segments that were in the SDLXLIFF and this may prevent other tools that do need these things from being able to provide a match for all the segments. If you convert the SDLXLIFF directly you get a TMX that contains everything... just as a point of interest.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2009: how to convert SDLXLIFF to TMX

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search