Tip: delete recalcitant LDB files to eliminate unwanted SDLTB files
Thread poster: IanDhu

IanDhu  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:11
Member (2005)
French to English
Jan 7, 2013

When I was deleting some duplicate files after a move to consolidate my holdings of Multiterm Studio termbases, I found myself left with three large SDLTB files, each with a companion SDLTB file locking it, and obstructing attempts to free disk space.

Procedure

Select the LDB file in the same directory and with the same name as the SDLTB file that won’t delete.

Right-click and scroll to “Properties”, then click on the “Security” tab.
In the table then displayed, click on the “Advanced” button.
In the next table which opens, click the "Add" button to add an authorisation.
In the “Select user or Group” table which opens after this, click on the “Advanced” button.
This opens yet another table, in which click on the “Search” button. This displays a list of names. I chose my Administrator name. Having clicked in this list on the entity you want, click on OK, then in the “Select user or Group” table to which you are returned, again click on OK.
Click in the “Total control” checkbox, giving yourself full powers.

I’m not sure whether this works for groups of files, so I performed the above for each offending LDB file, which I thereupon succeeded in deleting along with its companion SDLTB file.

Upshot

In the case in point, I wasted a lot of time finding all this out, but saved 17 Mb of disk space.

I should emphasise that my operating system displays in French, so the actual English names may differ slightly.

I hope this helps. Please contact me via (ProZ.com) e-mail if these instructions don't work for you.

With kind regards,

Adam Warren (IanDhu - 41189)
ahw@wordgrist.com

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tip: delete recalcitant LDB files to eliminate unwanted SDLTB files

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search